Male with Osteoporosis and its killing me.

Posted , 6 users are following.

The doctors found I had this in my early 40's. But from my early twemties I started braking for no reasons. I broke my back three times in my twenties. Then when I was 42 I broke my neck. After surgery and a few months recovery, the first week walking I broke my back. 

Today 15 years later I am told by my doctor. She told me I have the worst case of osteoporosis they have ever seen in anyone. Now I believe I have hurt my neck again. The pain is the same as last time. Pain down my neck into my arms and really dizzy. I am all used up. With our health care system what it is, I do not qualify for medcaid and can not afford Obama care. Death would be very nice. But our Lord is not readyt o take me. I pray every night to not wake up the next morning. But here I am. I am all used up. 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried taking supplements like Vitamin K2, Magnesium Vitamin D3 and calcium.

You are probably limited with exercise but is there something you can manage like pool activities?

Your diet is very important too. Have leafy greens, avocados, prunes, skin of cucumber and an all round healthy diet.

Sorry you are going through this and hope you have a support system or can talk to someone about how desperate you feel.

• Posted

How about Social Security Disability? That would give you Medicare A, B, D

Surely you qualify...

• Posted

Darling man.... No! You are not ready to die.  I am not a religious person, but life is such a precious gift.  I understand if you are in so much pain, whay you are saying. I will do as much research today for you into the causes, for men with osteoporosis.  I only hope I am not too late, as your condition sounds critical.  But who knows, if we are lucky, we may hit the jackpot immediately.  Can you tell me as much as you can about the tests you have had for this condition, your lifestyle and diet.  If your bones started breaking in your early twenties, I can only guess at this time that your body possible is unable to absorb vital nutrients.   I would like very much to try and help you, if you wish to send the information privately you can send a private message to me.  Meanwhile I will try to look into the causes of osteoporosis in men. xxx
  • Posted

Hello again OsteoMan, very quickly I have been looking at the scholary articles for osteoporosis in early males and  I came across a case study where they discovered the young man they studied had a lack of Androgens.  I read through quickly and couls not yet understand if his body just wasn not producing these hormones, stopped producing or just were not producing enough, but androgens are described as being the original anabolic steroids and the precursor of all estrogens. The primary and most well-known androgen is testosterone. Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and androstenedione are less known generally, but are of equal importance in male development. 

I hope this is a start. xxx

• Posted

Hello again OsteoMan, very quickly I have been looking at the scholary articles for osteoporosis in early males and  I came across a case study where they discovered the young man they studied had a lack of Androgens.  I read through quickly and could not yet understand if his body just wasn't not producing these hormones, stopped producing or just were not producing enough, but androgens are described as being the original anabolic steroids and the precursor of all estrogens. The primary and most well-known androgen is testosterone. Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and androstenedione are less known generally, but are of equal importance in male development. 

Another cause, in the scholary articles has been described as a resistance to estrogen.  These are due to genetical mutations and a rare one such as was discovered in the aromatase gene.  From what I understand this gene plays a key role in the conversion of androgens to estrogen. ( estrogen hormone resposible for for bone mass) and most common cause for osteoporosis, when levels deplete or the production of estrogen stops.

I hope this helps, I will continue looking into this later for you. xxxx

• Posted

Hello everyone and thank you for the comments.  I have tried all the drugs that are on the market. The doctors said they are doing nothing for me and took me off everything. I was on the pain meds for over 5 years. Today I take nothing for this disease. I manage pain by what I do or don't do. But I have come to the point I can not do anything anymore. 

Death is a wish and not something I will cause. I believe in our Lord and if one takes your own life you do not go and live with our Lord in Heaven. 

I do take Magnesium and vitamin's when I can afford them.As to Social Security. I spent 5 years fighting for that and became homeless while I was fighting for it. I also had a broken back at this time. I walked the streets for over a year before I finally recieved some help. Today I do not qualify for Medcaid because of SS and I do not make enough from SS to afford Obamacare. I had that for one year and it took every penny I made from SS to pay for it. I had to drop it because of the cost. 

I was always a hard working man. I would split fire wood with a maul by hand and would cut around 10 cords a year. I exercised all the time and would lift weights. 

I do love life but it does suck. 

• Posted

Here is the last MRI of my lower back. This is one scary pic. if you know what you are looking at. I had a doctor perform a discogram on me and this caused what you see in this MRI. The doctor who did the MRI said you never do one of these discograms on someone in my condition. This discogram almost made me not able to walk anymore. To say this doctor was a quack who did this to me is not saying enough. My upper back and neck are worse then this. Imagine living like this. Life sucks. But I do try and make the most of it and am not ready to die. But I want to die. If that makes any sense. 

• Posted

For those who do not know what a discogram is. They leave you wide awake, no pain meds. They then take these needles that are about a foot or two long and insert them into the back. they are aiming for the discs. The doctor is watchin a tv screen but can not see the disc. Its when you start yelling from the needle going into the spinal cord that he then backs out into the disc. The doctor then pumps a fluid into the disc. He then looks at another screent o see how much of the fluid is coming out. By this and how much screaming you are doing the doctor knows what is happening. This was how it was explained to me as I was going through this. This was torture and if I would have known this doctor was going to do this to me. I would never have had this done. This is med evil torture. Never have one of this discograms...NEVER
    • Posted

I was asking to have my vertibrea's rebuilt and this is why the doctor ordered this discogram. This told him my disc's in my back would not stand up to new vertibrea's being installed or the ones there rebuilt. I have crushed so many vertibrea's in my back I thought having them rebuilt would help me. But no it's not to be. They wanted to go in and remove that bulge down low that is pressing against my spinal cord and causing a lot of hip and leg problems. But one doctor told me not to do this. he said I could walk in and never walk again. For they do make mistakes. He siad live with it if I can. I am trying but walking and standing are becoming for hard. 

• Posted

This makes me so ashamed of the system in my country, although I have said now to people we are alright in this country provided we don't get ill!!

All the cuts that are being made affecting the sick, disabled and needy.  I am lucky that I can still work.  Last week I gave £20.00 to a young lady who said she could not get home and had little food, I was tapped on the shoulder and told I had given the young lady money for her heroin habbit, and told to wise up.  It does not matter to me, I will not judge people neither will I cease to help people because they may or may ot have a habit.  And yes....if there is a heaven and a hell, we are in the latter.  Homeless!!  Walking the streets with your severe condition!!  That is so disgusting, and not enough money for your chosen medication.  Which country were you in?!!!!......Britain?  It is certain we will never be Great Britain ever again!  

• Posted

I have two bulges and will not have an op. My husband's cousin did and was left with dropfoot.

It does cause me problems but I just live with it and modify my life to accommodate it.

• Posted

You make perfect sense to me Osteoman. I pray God's mercy and lovingkindness poured out on and for you. Blessings to you.

• Posted

I was working in 2002 when I broke my neck. After surgery and recovery of almost 4 months I lost my job. The family and I pack up and move back home. We were a few states away working at the time. Half way home I break my back. We were still about 600 miles from home. It took around two weeks to get my body brace so I could walk. After sometime, almost a month we end up back in our home town.  My wife finds a job and we find a place to rent. I start looking for a doctor and some help. 

This is when they found I have Osteoporosis. The doctor orders meds and off we go. One med alone was 750 bucks a month after insurance paid their part. I called the drug company and they ask if I had insurance. I said my wife covers me at her work at a cost of one two week paycheck.  The drug company tells me if you have insurance we will not help you, we only help those without insurance.

We then still had others meds to buy and rent to pay and food. It came down to do we fight this disease or do we pay rent and eat. We thought if we fight this at my age of 42 I may still be able to return to work someday. We stop paying all bills and focus on my health and the meds I need to fight this disease. 

We become homeless. We found a man who let me stay in his garage. I stayed in that garage for almost one year as we fought this. 

My dad buys a home and we move in with him. He was in very bad health himself and wheel chair bound and on dialysis. 

Things went great for maybe two years. My dad got around on a scooter and he scootered everywhere. Even to his dialysis oppointments. One day he leaves at around 7:30 am and never came home. I get a call from the hospital and he is in the emergency room. When I arrive the doctor walks in and tells me they pumped air through him while doing the dialysis. He lived a short time after this maybe two months. 

Now I have SS  but I do not have insurance. You may say wait you get medicare. True I do. But they only pay 80%. I must pay 20%. Where I live if you do not pay this 20% you end up in court. They then stike your credit. My credit has been destroyed because of this. I had to stop seeing the doctor because we can not afford that 20%.

I told my wife never again will I let her go without over my health. I have not seen a doctor in over a year. The last time I did, I had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital. They give me some pain meds and send me home after a few hours. There really is nothing anyone can do. I know it, and they know it. They have told me this and I understand this.

I should not have called that doctor who ordered that discogram a quack. He was trying to help me, I believe anyway, and this was not right for me to call him this. Even though he should have never ordered that discogram on someone like me.     

• Posted

This has got to end. I want to ask for help from some doctor, anyone. But I know there is nothing anyone can do. Death is the best cure. I hurt my neck from sitting to long. Can not hold anything in my stomach and really dizzy. If I got o the hospital they think all I want is drugs. I want relief, just a little relief. 
  • Posted

I also have another condition. It's a connective tissue disease. It's called Marphan's Syndrome. They tell me I have it but they can not find the gene that is causing this in me. What ever that means. But this disease attacks all your connective tissue's. Most die from thier heart fallin apart. They say my has attacked every other part of my body but my heart. They say this is why those dics look like they do in that MRI. I was told that is not caused by the Osteoporosis but by the Marphan's. All I know is this life is tourture. I wish my heart would have fallen apart. At least this would be over by now. 

• Posted

Osteoman,  we can't give you the (gentle) hugs you obviously need.  You must reach out to someone who can advocate for you, help you get to see the people who can help with the medical problems.  A family member?  A clergyperson?  A trusted friend?  Your local politician?  Even a former teacher you've kept in touch with?  Please reach out to a human being in your community.  This human life is precious and you deserve an opportunity to be able to enjoy it.  ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.