Man Boobs

Posted , 9 users are following.

I hope this is not an inappropriate question, but is prednisone know to cause man boobs?  

I am a relatively well built, 67-year-old male whose weight is somewhat normal (but redistributing).  I've been on prednisone for about a year, and amongst other noticeable symptoms I know am developing man boobs.

Is this caused by the the prednisone or something else?

Ahhhhhhh!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry, yes it can do.  Another sufferer (male of course) had the same problem.  He also say  Ahhhhhhhhhh!
  • Posted

Bob, lucky you, I'm female, been on preds for 19 months now and still as flat as an ironing board!! On the other hand, my backside has got bigger which is a real nuisance as I never needed more help in that area!! Preds, don't you just love them. Regards, Christina 
  • Posted

Hi bob. Same as you, just over a year on preds and my wife is now jealous. I imagine its all part of being on preds, additional weight around the middle, cheeks like a hamster and boobs like fatima whitbread (backside staying as it was thank heavens, well ladies does anyone fancy me from that description). We just have to accept it as part of PMR but its strange that it doesn't seem to affect females in the same way, and by the christina, don't worry about being an ironing board, you are perfect as you are, pure female unlike us fellas. Best wish Dave (tavidu)
    • Posted

Thank you both for your kind words. It somehow makes our days a little better even though we have to suffer these problems that pred and PMR slings at us and to be able to joke about some of it at our own expense may cheer others up. Thanks girls. xxx
    • Posted

You wrote 'but its strange that it doesn't seem to affect females in the same way'.

Men are from Mars, women from Venus.

• Posted

Very true lodger, the common factor here though is that when on preds we are all "spaced" out some of the time. I only hope that as we reduce our dose we will lose weight and hopefully I can give my wife her bra back. All the best, Dave (tavidu)
    • Posted

Dave, That's the best laugh I've had all day!!! Regards, christina 
    • Posted

Thanks christina, I am glad to hear it. We have enough to contend with when symptoms are really bad so I think it helps to find a lighter side to our condition even though it may not look attractive. Take care. Dave
    • Posted

constance. Fate and PMR brought us together thanks to this forum with the intention of helping eachother out if and when we need it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.