Manipulation procedure today...Scared!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm having the Manipulation procedure done this afternoon.  The thing I'm worried about is that my doctor is only doing a local anestesia to numb nerves...then he injects steroid..then the manipulation...ugh!  He did mention that this is a cutting edge procedure that he and his collegue has developed but it will be painful fro 30-60 seconds...hence why I'm scared.  I guess they can't completely numb all the nerves in that area so it will be a bit painful.  Anyone ever go through this?  Maybe it's better not to know..LOL.  I figure it's better than living with this agony for up to 3 years...right?  He says the success rate is almost 100% and has people from all over coming in for this procedure with him.  Any feedback will be welcomed...wish me luck!!!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracy! I've not had the MUA but I am on the waiting list, I agree with you I couldn't wait "several" years for it to eventually get better! Good luck and let us know how you get on xx
  • Posted

Oh my word Tracy...Good Luck Hun! Please let us know how you are doing. Pain is relative, so I hope it's not as bad as I'm imagining. The other day I was on the beach and jumped over a stream. It was quite a jump and instinctively I used my arms to propel me over...let's just say that although I thought I was only using my 'ok' arm the pain in my FS shoulder almost brought me to the floor. If it wasn't for my hubby talking to me and holding me up, I would probably have cried my eyes out. For at least a minute it felt soooo bad. For 2 nights my arm throbbed all night. So I'm crossing fingers tht this procedure goes smoothly. Please respond soon and give us an update. Thinking of you. One arm hug xxx
  • Posted

Hiyas Tracy,oh good luck with this,im having a MUA with a general on the 23rd June,i wish you well with your procedure & let me know how you get on..Soft hugs..x

• Posted

Hi there, I just thought I'd let u know that I had mua on June 2nd (5 days ago). I had quite a bit of pain after the procedure but the Dr put a nerve block in and that helped a lot. Still taking percocet but have been to physical therapy 3 days in a row after procedure and doing exercises at home. Still very limited range of motion but at last in getting some sleep, finally! Although not in my bed yet. Good luck to you and try not to be too nervous its a quick procedure.
  • Posted

Hi Tracy, I am guessing it is all done now?  brave person, I know everything is painful enough without enduring extra pain you know is coming eek  I wonder is this the same procedure without general anaesthetic you see on you tube performed all but for the actual moments of surgery and then the people are moving their arms above their head and behind their backs?  Hope you are feeling ok and wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery xx
  • Posted

Oh gosh huni it must be all over & done with now???? Hope everthing went well and you are now on the road to recovery - washing your hair with both hands is just around the corner!!!!! Do the excersises that physio give you - I'm obsesed like there's no tomorrow!!!!! But I'm massively improved smile Any one never suffered from fs will not understand the pain and isolation and disability and depression  this awful condition brings on you...........wishing you a rapid recovery smile

• Posted

Thanks for the well wishes and support!  I can't tell you how relieved I am about being over that procedure...it was by far worse than having my 4 babies!! I made it through the full 60 seconds of pain..had to stop quite a bit for my breath and calm myself...thank God my hubby was in there holding my hand!  This wasn't the usual MUA procedure...I was fully awake, they injected my arm with pain killer and a steroid before the manipulation.  I guess this is a new procedure done by this doctor and is cutting edge with success rate but it was the worst pain I have ever gone through in my life.  They even said after it was done that a lot of men stop them and can't get through it..LOL.  Us women are made of steel! ha...anyways, afer I was able to fully extend my arm again, though still painful but nowhere near before.  Today I am doing my exercises and have full range of motion...still sore but I was beat up quite a bit yesterday.  I'm optomistic on my furute healing process and hope to be completely better of this horrible frozen shoulder syndrom.  Thanks again for all your sweet words...It's nice to have support from people in your shoes!!

• Posted

Well done Tracy...brave soul. I doubt I could go through that. Had a brazilian wax once and almost kicked the beautician through the wall. So, there is no chance I'd be able to hang into that. I just don't understand why they don't perform it under anaesthesia. If they have people unable to go through it, why even suggest such a terrible thing. Even people who have their wisdoms out are put under...I don't know. Sounds brutal. I mean.. we don't go down to the river to wash our clothes anymore....this is way beyond my sensibility. I'm just so happy you have an improved arm. I suppose 'no pain no gain'. Let us all know how you get on day by day. xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.