Mass found on kidney through ultrasound

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi folks. GP sent me for ultrasound abdomen as have been complaining of IBS symptoms for years. Sonographer found 3.5 solid mass right kidney and referred me for CT which was a 4 week wait. I`m awaiting results from that this thursday and am knocked sideways by news so far. Pretty sure its cancer as have appt in cancer part of hospital. Any feedback and feelings after the op much appreciated. Have read some already and sounds pretty rough time. Thanks xx

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I notice that your post was dated 14 days ago so presumably you have now had feedback from your CT scan  I hope it did not turn out as bad as you were fearing.  Perhaps you could let us now how it turned out and, if appropriate, someone on this forum can then give some relevant advice.

Your username implies that you are from Birmingham.  If so, I wonder which hosptial you are attending.  I was in Heartlands for both surgery and subsequent chemotherapy and was very pleased with the care I received.

• Posted

Hi. there. Am attending QE Selly oak. Turned out to be something odd which they want to remove and test for cancer. Apparantly 90% chance of this. However, so far so good, as contained inside kidney and no spreading thank god. Operation booked for 27 july. Quaking in my boots. What part of body did u have problems with? With bit of luck thye think they canremove it with just op and nothing else. Dont know how true that is or if could spread in later years
    • Posted

In my case it was bowel cancer.  The operation was done by keyhole techniques so it was a bit of a non event, the op took place in the morning and in the afternoon I was eating a full size meal!  I was discharged 4 days later and lost most of the effects within a few days.  It may well be different for a liver op but techniqes these days usually mean that recovery is quite rapid, not like the 'good old days' when recovery took several weeks after a long stay in hospital!

A friend of mine had bowel cancer which spread also to the liver.  He had the situation that he attended Heartland for the bowel cancer and the QE for the liver cancer.  This was about ten years ago and he is still going strong having been given a clean bill of health.

Before my problem was detected I had always had two fears: that I might have to go into hospital to have an operation and that I might suffer cancer.  Now that both have actually happened I realise that things are not as bad as I expected.  One thing I did find to be of help was to have a positive attitude and to treat the whole thing as a sort of celestial joke, albeit one of questionable taste!  I found initially that telling people that I had cancer caused them to tip toe round me and try not to raise the subject in my presence.  What I did was to set up an email circulation of all those that needed to know what was happening and send out regular updates, keeping them lighthearted.  This seemed to demolish any barriers so that they lost their inhibitions about discussing the situation with me.

I hope all goes well for you and that you find plenty of support from all those round you.

• Posted

I seem to have had a senior moment: when I mentioned that my friend had had liver cancer, I actually meant kidney!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.