Massage?

Posted , 9 users are following.

hello lovelies. 

I am five and a half weeks post LTHR. I was wondering if a massage, legs and Butt ! would be helpful. Has anyone done this and found it helps some of the stiffness?  

Doing realy well no limp. Better than before surgery!

Took elderly mum out for lunch today

Any advice gratefully received. 

Kris. X

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Glad to hear you are doing so well!

And I think a massage is always fabulous. I have to admit though that I might stick to head and shoulders at this stge of recovery - the connective tissues are still in such early stages of recovery that i would be anxious about it. Having said that, any competent RMT will advise you about this if it is too early.

Best,

L

• Posted

I was advised that I shouldn't have a massage around these areas until three months post op. However, I really enjoyed a back and neck massage at about 8 weeks, to ease away the aches and pains after using crutches.

Wishing you good healing.

Steph

• Posted

Hi Kris

I had a massage at about 6 weeks and felt great but it was only a back and shoulder. I always recommend a massage to make you feel good.

Pamper yourself you deserve it.

All the best Brenda C

• Posted

hi kris, 

Happy to hear that you are doing so well !!!!  

I asked a RMT about that and she also mentioned that neck, shoulders, upper back and arms would be okay - legs she would do calves but not butt or lower back --- 

But oh, wouldn't it be nice !!!

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Kris, I know it's not quite the same but I've been massaging my scar area since the scabs came off. I was told by my surgeon & Physio it would be OK to do this to break down the scar tissue. You just have to be very gentle x

• Posted

Yes did the massage thing with a physio, about 2 weeks after surgery, wonderful, very relaxing, it did help with the tension in my leg but he went no where near the scar, and was very gentle all round and up and down my lower leg and swelling around my knee, the lower back tension was relieved to a huge amount, felt much better afterwards, but at the same time felt my husband could have done the same, and I did get him to rub my lower legs as he had been there and saw what the physio did,  it was only a rub over my skin, no penetration into muscles at all.

Husband rubbed in skin moisturiser, again well away from the scar, each and every day, this helped with very dry skin, I loved the very gentle movement as he cared for my legs and feet, and lower back, encourged him the rub harder around my knee and ankles and expecially feet.

Please be very gentle and don't wrench your hip in any way.

• Posted

Great answers thank you all!  

Think I will wait and just massage the area gently myself with Bio Oil. 

Love to all. X

• Posted

Renee - get that wonderful boyfriend of yours to do the same for you, and at worst your Mum, we had many a laugh, my feet are soo sensitive and I hate them being touched. At 65 I have very dry skin especially on my legs and feet, and even though the fish oil I take does help the moisturiserand gentle massage of having it done, just made me feel sooo much better.
  • Posted

Hi Kris

There are some good tips to be read. I'm 70 and love a massage I try to use lavender oil on my skin each day. It makes me feel good and there are a lot of healing properties in it.

Yesterday I went to a care home near me to see a 96 year old friend. They had a summer fair and there was a duo, mother and son, singing songs from the 50's and 60's. It was really good.

When I arrived home carrying some things I had bought, into the house. I tripped and went flying onto the drive landing on my bad knee and hand. I got myself up went into the house and rubbed some lavender oil onto my knee and hand. It still hurts but at least I am still mobile.

Thats a bit of self healing I'm looking into having another pamper session.

Look after yourself Brenda C

• Posted

oh brenda,  are you okay though?   wow, that must have been scary -

I had a narrow escape myself carrying in groceries - thought I could do it the same way as before hip issues .. you know, instead of multiple trips, jusst trying to do it in one ????

not did I almost fall but the soreness afterwards was not fun --- my body telling me that she is not ready yet and it was a bad thing to do to begin with ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi renee

Thank you for your concern.  I ache but what upset me was I was carrying a fresh cream scone I was going to enjoy. Never mind I can always buy another one.ha ha ha 

hugs Brenda C

• Posted

cheesygrin oh what a waste !!!   is the Universe telling you something ????

have a great day darling

renee

• Posted

Oh my goodness. No lasting harm I hope?  It is easy to do too much sometimes, particularly as you get more mobile. 

Lavender is a goo tip. I love the smell and have some, so I will give it a go!

Take Care. Kris. X

• Posted

I'm glad you're OK, Brenda.  I bet the lavender oil helps.  Ouch.  Too bad about the scone!  Hugs,  Leslie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.