Massive Butterfly size floaters.

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi folks.  wonder if anyone could throw some light on my experience.  this evening, i suddenly experienced butterfly size floaters in my peripheral vision.  they came & went intermittantly, no other associated  symptoms apart from a headache. i phoned 111 & was advised to see a Doc within 2 hrs. the Walk In centre didn't have a Doc so had to go to A & E. they said there was nothing 'worrying' they could see - no pun on words there. i was too embarrased to ask. anybody idea what they might be? 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

my husband had floaters in his eyes.  One of them the doctor said was one of the largest she has seen.  The problem as far as i know  what the doctor told us was there is anything you can do for floaters.  Now with that being said, i will still find a eye dr because he also had a detached regina and the er didn't catch that.  My first thought always is to seek a doctor.  you are fooling with your eyes and please please NEVER BE EMBARRASED TO ASK.  i am still fighting my problem after 6 doctors and 3 years. someone might be going through the same thing.
    • Posted

indeed....indeed.........i did see a Doc @ the ER & she said all looks ok.  do u mind me asking what happened u ...........6 Docs...........3 yrs?
    • Posted

i have blinding watery eyes.  This is making it short, i have had 4 sets of plugs, permanment tubes for 6 months, they reconstructived my tear ducts,

nothing has worked.  Restais doesn't work.  They all say it is dry eyes try explaining that when you work and it looks like you are crying all the time. 

My niece has the opposite hers are so dry that feel like razor blades.

• Posted

oh dear.  that sounds horrible. i'm sorry to hear it.  well the medics tend to be limited when it comes to anything outside of acute illness/bone repair & diagnostics. 
  • Posted

Hi caitlin... Floaters are a damn nuisance.

When the vitreous gel liquifys it fall inwards and causes floaters that move around inside the eye freely but if they remain attached to the wall of the eye they remain moving in a resticted area.

If they are attached it can cause flashing due to tugging at the retina.

Apart from the nuisance it is wise to check out any unusuall floaters with headache or flashing as it could indicate  possible retina detachment.

Most of us get increasing floaters with age.

There is an operation for severe cases when the gel is removed and the eye refilled but it isn't a common operation and not one they like to do.

• Posted

My doctor tells me that he has telephone shaped floaters. I had leaf and Island shaped ones when I was prescribed Amiodarone. 
    • Posted

It makes a change from seeing shapes in clouds derek. lol.
    • Posted

In the days of coal fires we used see shapes in glowing embers.
    • Posted

After an agenda few years ago add the entire back of my IP loose as a giant floater that covered my full field of vision in my left eye for about 3 weeks before they started breaking up. I still have more floaters now that I have ever had in my life and they can be a real problem. at one point they had all clumped over into my peripheral vision and for 6 months I walked around on edge because I felt like somebody was coming at me from that side all the time. the truth is there's nothing we can do about floaters, the two options available can leave you blind. so you just have to pray for the best. my newest eye doctor has told me that if you have an astigmatism you're more likely to develop floaters. But I remember being 10 years old and trying to explain to my mother what I was seeing because they didn't understand. Right now I probably have 85% clear vision at any given time because the floaters. I guess I'm just grateful I can still see at all.
  • Posted

I dont know how old you are,but ask your eye doctor about vitreous detacment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.