mastic...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone come across any product related to mastic?  It comes from the pistacchio tree and is helpful in combatting dental plaque, h pylori, ulcers and other abdominal disorders.

I am wanting to know what the experience has been and whether it has been of any help.  

I have tried to post on this twice before, and each time, have been stopped and sent to the moderator.  No idea why!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It's used for chewing gum. Good to produce extra saliva to help combat acidity.

Be interested to see any research to support the other claims.

• Posted

I  know what it is and what it is used for.  It seems to be very widely used and advertised.  Also, available at some highly respected high street health food stores and online sites.

Obviously, I am looking for feedback, research, etc.  I may try to research it, although it would not appear on any recognised medical site.  

There is so much information on this item, that there must be something to it.  H Pylori sufferers have posted that they do nnot get rlief from the use of antibiotics and if they do, it is temporary, as the bug penetrates the mucous membranes of the abdomen.  Mastic is supposed to be able to go where "no man has been before....!"  Whether it is too good to be true - that is the question...!

I have symptoms, that fit in with HP, but not formally diagnosed.  Only just recently heard of the condition!

• Posted

A Cochrane search has unearthed these two relevant research papers:

Publication date: 3 Feb 2010: "Is Chios mastic gum effective in the treatment of functional dyspepsia?" Conclusion: " Chios mastic gum significantly improves symptoms in patients with functional dyspepsia compared to placebo."

Publication date: Mar 2020: "The effect of mastic gum on Helicobacter pylori." Conclusion: "Mastic gum has bactericidal activity on H. pylori in vivo."

For more about H-Pylori, search out the paper, "Host-Bacterial Interactions in Helicobacter pyloriInfection" published by AGA in Gastroenterology January 2008.

• Posted

Interesting.  I will take a look.  I have ordered a product, and will post on it in a few weeks - it needs time to do what it is suppposed to do....

Many thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.