may 12th!!!!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

hi all,i have my date at last after having surgery cancelled in feb due to infection.im so excited but also scared!i have read all your stories avidly everyday and have got so much info from them.this forum is invaluable!theres a couple of silly questions i would like to ask cos i think i have answers to most others just by reading this forum!one is can you wear soft slipper sock type slippers in hosp or do you have to wear the hard bottomed ones with backs?and the other question is when you are well enough to venture out how can you tell if a chair as in a coffee shop or something is going to be the right height!ill be frightened to sit down in case it isnt!?i will keep you all updated once i get out of hosp.will prob be a blow by blow account as ill be boredsmileim hoping to get the spinal with a large chunk of happy milk so i know nothing about the op!!thats the thing im scared about.other than that bring it on!!love to you all and i hope you are all doing great.xx

2 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sandra, you will need slippers with backs on for hospital. They will get you walking the next day on crutches. I don't know how long it is before you can sit in normal chairs and loos it is a question I would love answered. I am on crutches 2 weeks after op and am nervous of when I will be able to walk without them.
    • Posted

thankyou so much barbara.ont be nervous about that!look foreward to it!but you know you can hang on to those things for as long as you feel comfortable and ready.xx
  • Posted

Hi Sandra

I took hard bottom slippers but didn't wear them because the hospital provided socks with grips on the bottom, like tote socks. I'd think as long as you can slip them on and they have grip on the bottom any sort would be okay. As for the chairs, I'm just over 3 weeks out with posterior approach and have sat on my normal height kitchen chair this morning and done 3 hours of book work, as long as your knee is lower than your hip and you don't reach forward too far all is good.

Good luck for the 12th !!

• Posted

thankyou joanne.im starting to panic now cos i know its gonna fly by!and im trying to think of the best things to take.ive bought some nighties but they like you to wear your own clothes so now i have to think of suitable trousers that are baggy on the legs! 
  • Posted

Good luck Sandra. I can't help with your questions as I'm in on 8th June but will follow your post x
    • Posted

and i will follow yours even though i will be done!smilegood luck for yours toxx

• Posted

Best of luck on 12th. U won't regret having it done. U need slippers with backs on so u don't slip out of them or trip. When I was recovering after both hip ops I brought a cushion in the car & if seat looked low I'd use it. We even took spare toilet raiser in the car but thankfully a lot of hotels & restaurants had disabled toilets with raise toilet seats. All those restrictions are lifted for me now as I'm 7months after rthr & 3 months after lthr. I'm now pain free & delighted it's all behind me. Will be thinking of u on 12th. Keep us posted how ur doing x
    • Posted

thankyou so much gossip.i shall be so relieved when its over i shall be writing all about it!!xx

• Posted

If, when you back up to it, the edge of a seat hits below the crease in your knee it is low for you and you are at risk of breaking the 90 degree precaution (if your surgeon still has that). If it hits at or above the crease you should be good. To be cautious  PT/OT's recommend putting the op leg forwards before sitting down whatever the height of the seat. You should also be mindful of leaning forward when sitting. Don't freak out about it, dislocation is rare, only about 1%. At least one (review) study showed that the dislocation rate was the same with or without precautions but people who didn't have precautions regained ROM more quickly which is why some surgeons no longer give them. Others still think it's good to be extra cautious.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery

• Posted

thankyou so much hollyhop.that knee crease to seat edge is really helpful!!xxxx
  • Posted

Hi Sandra, good luck on the 12th!! 

​They are certainly not silly questions at all.  I would say that you want to have slippers with backs and good grips as you will be very unsteady on your feet to begin with. Also, as i found out yesterday, make sure you stretch your slippers before you bring them to hospital with you. Regardless of how easy they were to put on before, man are they impossible after a THR. I had the nurses wrentching and pulling at them which is not what you want right after your op.

​Also, I'm sure others will have said already, but your chair height has to be set to your height.  I'm six foot and the optimum chair height was 20" off the ground. I had to hire one for my house....

​All the best,

​David

• Posted

thankyou david.i will defo try and stretch my slippers!!i did not realise you could hire the chairs could i ask where from?xx
    • Posted

Hi Sandra, 

Sorry I missed your response, i'm not sure why and its possibly too late now as its the 19th... did you manage to get the chair sorted? I got mine from a mobility shop.

If you had your op, I hope it all went well.

David

• Posted

Hi David. Yes the hospital sent me a chair😊everything went well.I had op on Thursday and was home on Sunday. Pain hardly any?and walking around with 2 crutches fine.think I could manage with one but not going to bother just yet.and sleeping fine to!after reading so many post with people saying they cannot sleep I'm really surprised.but early days and I'm taking one day at a time.I know it can be one step foreward and two back!In the end I opted for a GSM and I'm glad I did. No probs with any of it😊😊hope you are doing well.xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.