Maybe we can help each other with Morton's Neroma.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a traditional acupuncturist & studied Tuina (chinese massage).  But that's by the by.  My partner was diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma.  So I had the chance to see if I could help - I just used massage.  I started by having the legs/feet side by side & tried to feel a difference - trying to feel what was wrong.  Gently palpating the toes, feet, lower leg.  I would gently massage around the toes, the ankle, the tops & soles of the feet.  It would help, but no go away.  So I then worked on the outside of the lower leg, below the knee, releasing tightness, again it would help, but it returned.  Then I checked the back of her legs, and found a distinct area of tension just below the lateral / outside gluteal muscle.  And I released this, by firm, but gentle massage.  The pain went away for a week.  Upon the pains return, I went directly to the area below the gluteal muscle, and found that the tension had returned - I released it again, and the pain went away immediately without me massaging any other area of the leg. It's now 6 months later and symptoms haven't returned. This is a forum for helping each other.  Perhaps people suffering from this condition could specifically check whether there is a distinct area of tension below the lateral gluteus, and see if gently releasing it helps. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

did you use any lotion or oitment to massage?

thanks.

• Posted

Hi,

yes, thanks for the question.  The massage doesn't need to create uncomfortable friction.  Any cream is fine - it just acts as a lubricant - you could use something therapeutic for massage, but it isn't necessary.  I use the back of my hand on the area below the glute.  And keep comparing the two sides (legs) - so I'm matching the bad side to the good side.  If you're going to massage the feet / toe or around the front of the tibia below the knee, I've found that by putting cream on the area concerned and then using soft tissue paper (i.e. Toilet roll paper), on the cream, and then gently but firmly pressing & rotating the tissue, it isn't particularly painful, but releases the area nicely.  Thanks. Please let me know how it goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.