ME/CFS

Posted , 8 users are following.

i have an appointment tomorrow with Dr Patel at George Eliot Hospital. I feel really anxious, I think because I will come away disappointed again and carry on feeling so bad forever. I have been diagnosed about 5 years ago but also feel that something is being missed. I am hyperthyroid and about 12 years post menopausal too. I think what is making me feel worse is that I do t feel I will be able to convey everything I need to as my concentration is so bad and I will forget important things. I just want to feel better and live more of a normal life!  Any tips on how to get the best out of this appointment. 

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Do you have a close friend or relative that can go with you to remind you of anything you may forget to mention?  I always have to take a list with me when I see the doc.

Have you written a list of the things you want to cover with him/her?

• Posted

My husband has been with me to my endocrinologist for thyroid problems which was a help and a comfort. He isn't able to come tomorrow. I am just starting to make a list. 

• Posted

Thanks Phyllis for replying to me. 
    • Posted

You are welcome.  I'm sure you will get several good ideas from the people on this board.  I wish you well.

• Posted

Yes Phillis, taking a list with you and if u have a close reliable friend/family memeber to take with u, do also give them the list and tell them to prompt u if/when necessary. Also sit and anticipate the questions u maybe asked and have that chat with your friend/family memeber before going.  Even, do a ''Role Play'' beforehand.  That works for me as my brain sems to shring by the minute with this condidtion.....................all good luck. I hope Dr Patel is an expert in this area..............

• Posted

I see Dr Patel at George Elliot, he is a lovely man and listens to you. Unfortunately there is not a lot they can do really. He always checks bloods, does scans if necessary. They also arranged for me to get occupational therapy. But he and his team are wonderful.

takr care

margaret xxx

• Posted

Hi, my appointment has been brought forward from Dec. The first letter I was to see a W Crasto so maybe I won't see Dr Patel tomorrow. I read somewhere that he tests for thyroid hormone resistance which I have asked for a test for a long time. I have an under active thyroid but my meds do t seem to help. Thanks

• Posted

I am sure he will test this for you. I also have a thyroid problem.

the team are really nice

xxx

• Posted

I have the same problems with concentration as you. I think this is very common. Here's what worked for me for my doctor's appointment. On the day before the appointment, or even before that, I did the following. 1.  I wrote down all my medications and dosages, including ones I'd tried but didn't work. 2. I wrote down names, phone numbers, and addresses of all of my doctors. 3. I wrote down a brief history of my illness, in an easy-to-read list format. For instance, "May 1999. First became ill." At the beginning of my appointment, the doctor said he wished all his patients would do this. He read over all the material, and we were able to hit the ground running. It saved a lot of time, and I wasn't worried that I'd forgotten something.

• Posted

Given your age and hyperthyroidism is it possible that you are also Vitamin B12 Deficient?  

Some of the symptoms of B12D mirror those of ME/CFS and thyroid problems and over the age of sixty the amount of acid in the stomach reduces making it less able to "grab" the B12 in your food causing a deficiency.

I am not a medically qualified person but I suggest you ask your doctor to test both your serum B12 and serum Folate levels.

I wish you well and hope your appointment goes OK..

• Posted

I think he is a waste of time, very rude didn't seem to care just thought I was lazy even though had been diagnosed with cfs seen him twice and he discharged me!

Always came out disappointed after seeing him used to go home and cry!

Don't hold your breath

Good luck!

• Posted

It's not easy going through menopause when you have ME, I'm almost through it but I still get the occassional hot flush. What got me through it was taking Wild Yam, a herb. 

There was a very expensive menopause supplement that women were raving about so I looked at the ingredients and the important one was Wild Yam. It reduced my hot flushes so I hardly had any, improved my moods and generally made me feel better. I feel that I sailed through it because of Wild Yam!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.