Meal plan for diabetes

Posted , 5 users are following.

My dad has diabetes and I would like to make a meal plan for him. (breakfast, lunch and dinner). I need some guidance, tips and recommendations. Thank you!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi b,

I have been T2 Diabetic for nearly 2 years. Over that time I have almost got my levels back to normal.

Experiance tells me that we are all different so what works for one may not for another.

I found keeping a food diary and taking regular (5 x a day) Blood Sugar readings at home, I quickly learnt what foods affected levels of Blood Sugar.

As soos as I was diagnosed I stopped eating potatoes, flour, wheat, white pasta and junk food.

I consumed lots of vegetables using the plan of only eating vegetables that grow above groung, brocoli, cabbage, cauliflower etc.

I stopped sugar and eating sweets products  plus sugary drinks. I now drink a lot of water have 2-3 cups of tea and one coffee per day.

Cheese works well for me - the theory is that the carbs are release slowly so the body can cope better.

I stopped all processed meat and only consumed fresh meat. Chicken is best for me but beef, pork and lamb can be tolerated.

It was a long process to get BS levels down but as I perservered things got better.

There are diets on the internet, but I think it is down to the individual to asses what works best.

I did find that if I felt hungry fresh nuts work well especially almonds and walnuts. They are both healthy and you dont need many to feel hungry.

I apologise for not providing detailed recipes but as I say we are all different.

If you would more information on my situation please feel free to ask and I will help where I can.

Good luck, be patient and experiment.

G

• Posted

Hi G!

Thank you very much for your reply. It's very helpful as I have no idea where to start. I will do a research of the foods to avoid and power food for Diabetes. Then I can make a list for him.

My dad loves sweets and desserts. I will try to advise him to eat instead more fruits. And thank you for the advice about the almonds and walnuts as he always feels hungry.

Thank you!

B

• Posted

I did find that if I felt hungry fresh nuts work well especially almonds and walnuts. They are both healthy and you dont need many to feel hungry.

SHOULD READ:

I did find that if I felt hungry fresh nuts work well especially almonds and walnuts. They are both healthy and you dont need many to feel LESS hungry.

• Posted

Good ideas from Graham and I suggest you take a look at any of Patrick Holford's books - Say no to Diabetes or his Low GI recipe books.  It's easy once you get your head round it.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Diet would depend on whether he is T1 or T2, and/or on insulin, oral medication or just plain exercise/diet.   I'm T2 and on insulin, after many years I found carb counting the only way to control my BGLs.   Using the carb counting method I can eat whatever I like and my hba1c is always around the 6.8 mark, good enough for me and good enough for my GP.   It also depends on how far you want to go, some opt for a high fat, low/no carb diet where the BGLs never go above 7.5 - too restrictuve for me, I prefer to enjoy what time I have left!
  • Posted

I should also add that eating fruit will result in a quick/high spike followed by an even quicker plummet in BGL, no problem just be aware of it.   The high fat, low/no carb people don't eat fruit for that reason and still call their method healthy - go figure!   A balanced diet is the way to go, eating foods from all necessary groups, I try to keep my carb intake per meal below a pre determined level,   try being the active word here!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.