Mebendazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had been prescribed or tried the antibiotic Mebendazole for the treatment of chronic Lyme. Over the last year, the only thing that has helped me for any significant period of time is Fluconazole. It made me feel great for two weeks and then I slipped back again. But someone I know who works in a cancer clinic suggested Mebendazole, given the success of Fluconazole for a short time. Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Isn't Fluconazole an antifungal medicine?  
    • Posted

Yep. My private Lyme doctor prescribed it, it apparently has been successful in some cases.
  • Posted

Hi princematt - I'm really sorry to see you still here, though it is the nature of the illness - I sent you a reply I think about 2 years ago, but I'm pleased to see you have found some relief at least.  My daughter's final treatment was Tinidazole (also antifungal) for 3 days a week and Azithromycin for 4, and penicillin all the time. (private doc, since retired). I thought they gave her antifungals because some of the coinfections were of that nature, but I'm really not sure. Either way, if they helped you, maybe you need to be on them for longer due to long lifecycle of bugs?  Just a thought.I know docs don't like to do that much. She was on this combination continuously for ages, everytime she was taken off and symptoms returned (sometimes immediately, sometimes after 1-3 months off), she was put back on until eventually she was able to stay off them. Post treatment she was still fatigued easily and prone to bugs and stomach (possibly from meds? Make sure to protect you tum!) and knee problems, but these blips have been getting further and further apart as time has gone on - don't give up hope. She is now nearly 6 years down the line post meds, has completed her degree and now handling a demanding job. (She has learned to watch for signs of fatigue, etc to nip them in the bud and doesn't miss more work than anyone else).

I hope that helps. Best of luck.

• Posted

Thanks Jo and really glad your daughter is seeing some big improvements. It's great that she is getting on with her life now. Gives me hope too. I really got my hopes up when I was briefly feeling better on the fluconazole but it quickly went back to normal. Some 'old' symptoms are coming back strong too - pain in calves, hips, bad sleep etc etc. I think the thing is that there are loads of co-infections but I really don't have the time/money to get all the blood tests, so it's a question of trying all kinds of stuff. My NHS immunologist has put me on hydroxychloroquine for a few months too but it has had absolutely no effect at all...

It seems that a lot of private docs are 'retiring', my current one is giving up too (apparently he's literally the last one who was interested in Lyme in the UK...), but in his last chat with me he recommended I go back on the fluconazole in conjunction with a new set of supplements, stuff like iodine, turmeric, garlic, boswellia and ginger. Have just started the supplements and will get back to the fluconazole soon too. If there's no improvement, I'll try your concoction above! Thanks again for the advice, all best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.