Medication

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I went to see an ent doctor, my ent doctor was away. He told me to increase my does of betahistine from 16 to 32 mg three times a day. Because my doctor won't give me anymore tablets I rang the hospital and they told me he could not of possible said to double it. I just wanted to ask people what they are on. I'm in the uk. My husband was with me at the time so I know I'm not going mad. Feeling so stressed out about it. Having to wait now for two months to see my own menieres doctor. The nhs makes me laugh. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Try contacting Dr Richard Gacec in the us regarding the use of the antiviral Acyclovir. The NHS are way behind on menieres research. I used acyclivir for 3 years and been spin free.
  • Posted

Hi, I am also from the UK. I am still waiting for my ENT appointment for a diagnosis but I have been given prochlorperazine Maleate to help with my dizziness.

It doesn't stop the dizziness completely but it is definitely bringing it down a level, I am convinced it is stopping the big attacks of virtigo coming.

It's the only medicine I have tried so far so am interested in seeing how people are finding betahistine x

• Posted

The ENT must write/email your doctor re the increased dosage. Im on 32mg betahistine 3 times a day. Different ENT''s have different opinions. Its working well for me, good luck x
  • Posted

Hello, Sarita

I too live in the UK 

I was given 16mg  by my GP to be taken 1 - 3 times a day. If you read the related information on this site, it explains dosage, what it does, side effects etc. (well worth reading) I was cautious at first, only taking 2 a day, but I needed to increase to the full recommended dose. They really helped me, over time. At first they didn't do anything, but I stuck with them. It's not a cure, I still get good and bad days, but they really help.

I hope you get your issue resolved, don't wait, talk to your own GP and ask him what his plan is. You shouldn't have to wait. A .ny doubts come back to this forum. There will always be someone who knows what you're going through.

Best wishes

Pauline.

• Posted

Dr P West, St Richards Hospital, Chichester, W Sussex is up to date on latest research. 
  • Posted

Dr West could solve your problem. he tripled my dose and I have remained free of attacks. Good luck,
    • Posted

Hello Neddy O 

When you say yoiur Dr tripled your dose, from what to what? I take 16mg 3 times daily, which helped at start, but I feel I need extra because I'm going through more attacks. The Patient leaflet says start at 8mg 3 times daily increase to 16mg 3 times. 

I haven't seen 32mg  as a dose ( Sarita above) I want to ask my Dr to increase me to 16mg 4 times, but I know he will be cautious! If I can cite others who are taking extra that will help my case.

Pauline (UK)

• Posted

Hi Pauline,

i have heard some people taking the 32mg dose and they all state it makes them feel better, I'm going to see my ent doctor next month so am going to try and sort this out x

• Posted

Hi Pauline,

Dr West uped my dose from 16 to 48mg three times daily because I was not controlled at the lower dose. At the time he said he has some patients on much higher doses than that. At review In March I had been attack free since early November and have gradually reduced the dose and then stopped - so far so good. But if I get warnings of attacks returning I am to go straight back to 48mg tds and am allowed to go to even more if necessary. Hoipe you find this helpful.

• Posted

Hello , hope you get your problems sorted, sometimes things just cant wait can they? I am taking behistine 3 times a day to help control my balance.  GP loss of balance may be fluid behind my inner ear.  I fall often and causing myself untold body damage, broken bones, concussion, broken teeth etc.  is there anybody who takes this medication and has developed an allergy to it.  I itch like mad all over hands, fingers, toes, crutch, head, under hair line, etc. I have been prescribed predniolone to take for 3 days, 6 tablets a day for 3 days. Today is the last day and the itch really hasn't improved.  Seeing my GP this afternoon.
    • Posted

Hello Barbara,

2nd attempt to reply, the system deleted my previous attempt!! annoying or what!

I've been taking betahistine as described in my previous message, went back to Dr asking if I could increase to  4 times daily, he told me I was on the maximum recommended dose. He did, however, suggest an additional tablet at night called Stugeron (Cinnarizine) which I have now started. 

I have also had clusters of spots which itch like mad. I hadn't attributed those to Betahistine, but with other symptoms thought it was Varicella Zoster (a Shingles bi-product). This includes numbness and tingling in my left arm, BUT WHO KNOWS!

Hope you feel better soon

Pauline 

• Posted

Hi Pauline. Stugeron helps to suppress the balance mechanism at times when we feel wobbly. I am surprised that your Dr told you to take a dose at night. GPs and ENTs know so little about Meneieres it is concerning. As I said in an earlier post on this thread, Google Dr Richard Gacek (ent surgeon in the us) and his work regarding a virus link with menieres, interestingly the herpes zoster virus also responsible for shingles and chicken pox. He has trialled the drug Aciclovir in the treatment of menieres and has good results. More Ent's in the States are prescribing this now. I have been on Aciclovir for 4 years now with no spins! I live in the UK and have a really hard time getting GPs to prescribe it. They are years out of date with current research.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.