medication for schizoaffective disorder?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, after being diagnosed with schizophrenia previously for some years now.

Now on a section 3, have been placed on a depot. The first one I had severe reactions to. They put me on tablets after that which I reacted against too. Last Wednesday they gave me zuclopenthixol 100mgs. Am already having some side effects. Have also been prescribed procyclidine to counter this. 

Does anyone know that, if you keep having severe side effects to these drugs, are you able to refuse medical treatment without being hospitalised due to the community order? And this diagnosed? 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Depends on the type of section. Voluntary or Enforced.

Generally they do have the right to enforce treatments if they feel the need

BOB

• Posted

I read on Mind website that if a drug is having harmful effects on someone, and doing more harm than good, then a person can refuse this medicine? Would a tribunal review of my section 3 and diagnosis, which I believe has been wrongly assessed, would that be able to stop these depots should I have a positive outcome...?
    • Posted

It depends on the type of Section I understand. If it is Voluntary or you have been Sectioned for your own safety. The latter treatment may be compulsory if they feel you are a danger.

You will have someone who will look after your interests, An advocate ??

These assessments will take your wishes and those of your representatives into consideration

BOB

• Posted

It's a section 3 and a CPA is in place. It is due to lapse in March so they are going to re-evaluate as to whether I should be discharged from that. 

My care coordinator did suggest that there was an alternative to medicine and that was more interaction with the health team. Is that accurate and if so how would I persuade them of this as be better for me than the depot..?

i am also requesting a tribunal review as I believe I have been misdiagnosed as schizoaffective when in fact these symptoms and they way I am feeling are more expressive of generalised anxiety disorder and depression. I feel they are not taking into consideration my background and age which, to me, have a considerable affect on the way I have been behaving or thinking.. from what I have been reading in Mind they have to take all of that into consideration before they come to a decision on my mental health. The fact that the solicitor I had while in hospital didn't express all the details of my circumstances at the original tribunal didn't help my case.

Do you recommend an advocate? How could they intervene to speak up on my behalf? Would the solicitor taking on my case okay that role or would an independent one be better?

• Posted

Hi Lydia, I have schzioaffective disorder too. Was diagnosed a year ago. I take aripiprazole and it has less side effects. Don't know about refusing meds when I was in hospital I was voluntarily. Hang in there and ask about changing your meds. I work on my meds, and am okay.

Lou x

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I'm seeing my advocate on this matter to see what they suggest. So maybe request a different depot to one I have now. Yeah, that sounds sensible..

• Posted

Given that you were sectioned, you cannot refuse any treatment besides ECT. According to the Mental Health Act, your consultant is the person directly responsible for your well-being and can treat you with any medication he/she sees beneficial. Saying that, in the case of non-consent, your nearest relative should be consulted prior to enforcing treatment (mind that this is only a good practice, not a legal obligation).

Zuclopenthixol is a potent antipsychotic, it is not uncommon to see it administered to patients who did not respond to atypical neuroleptics. Did you try medications such as olanzapine, aripripazol or risperidone? These have less side effects but are also less effective when compared with the older generation of neuroleptics.

• Posted

The thing is I believe I have been misdiagnosed. I feel my symptoms etc are connected to generalised anxiety disorder and depression. Am going to have a tribunal review because I am on a section 3 and have a community order on me where I have to see my local health team on a regular basis. So I don't believe these drugs can help me because I am being treated for a mental health problem I don't have. Any advice on that..?

• Posted

Have tried arisperidone but had quite a reaction to that. Risperidone has less of an impact upon me so maybe I've consult my psychologist on this... the section ends in March so not sure what will happen then. If discharged could I refuse the medications then?

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, some patients do not respond well to these newer medications and have to rely on the older generation of antipsychotics. These have serious side effects and taking them is always a trade-off. The mental health improves but the physical health deteriorates. Sadly, contemporary medicine does not have any other cure available.

When the section ends you will be able to refuse taking medications. Whether this would be a wise thing to do… I don’t know. I think you should discuss this with your doctors and relatives prior to making a final decision.

• Posted

That's true Johnkov,

Just bit unfortunate that I'm experiencing these side effects, but yes, you're

Right, most patients have to cope with that.

Talking my concerns over with my doctor is definitely the way forward. I'll see

If I can make can an appointment to discuss this with him...

• Posted

I think you can be hospitalized for refusing to comply. You need to ask for a different treatment plan because of all your reactions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.