Medication-induced headaches?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 42 years'old woman with MS and congenital toxoplasmosis. I have been suffering headaches a great deal since my teenage years.. Long-term migraine treatments for a while and later on: paracetamol ad-hoc when in pain. 2 years go I started to have big / daily headaches ago. They came along with some burn-out problems at work and when my MS got worse suddenly. My neurolog prescribed some codein&ibuprofen painkillers. Which I have been taking almost daily since then.. Ending up in a vicious circle since I am now living with a helmet tight of headaches daily. I now have to reduce to ultimately stop my painkillers intake. By the end of March. I am almost a week done of a reducing the painkillers and It's hell!! So much pain.. And so tired! Anyone whom experienced that situation? When can I expect to see the end of tunnel? How long will it take? Do you have tips / recommendations of alternative treatment that could help during the coming months? A stupid question... Can I continue drinking coffee (forgot to check that with my doctors and I can't find info on that so far). Thanks for yr help!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beartrice. So sorry to hear of your problems you have my sympathy I too was stuck in a painkiller cycle though only paracetemol and anything else i could buy at the chemist with no relief from any of them. Eventually i decided to stop as i was aware i was addicted to them. It did take several weeks to make a diference and although i still have the headaches they are diferent and not so severe. I have given up most things over the years and coffee was one of them, it made no diference so i now drink it again. I was recently told by a doctor to drink coke and that is loaded with caffeine. As for alternatives i don't know. I am going to try physiotherapy and have another go at amitripilane

I'm sorry i can't be much help but good luck,i hop you find some help

• Posted

Thanks for your response. Actually, I was at my acupuncteur today. (Started to see one last year in relation to my MS)

She decided to try with me auricular acupuncture (NADA protocol for detox  treatment via acupuncture in the ears). There is lots of litterature on the subject on the web, unbelievable! Had never heard about that..

Will do that 2/3 times a week for the coming months. It should help according to her. She tried this method successfully on many patients. I keep these needles (only have 2 for now) during 2 days then at the next visit, she is supposed to swap them and add some more.

Will let you know if that works:-)

• Posted

Hi Beatrice

i too wondered if I was suffering rebound headaches from needing so much medication. I was lucky in that the severe headaches that hit me ( it seemed from nowhere--have had migraine for 40+ years but this was something else) was short lived. I found it was a neck injury/ problem and a chiropractor sorted it out within 2 months. She used dry needling and that helped. 

Sorry you're having so many problems --7 doctors failed to diagnose that my neck pain as causing headaches, none of them thought to scan/X-ray my neck tho one decided to X-ray my chest at midnight ( I was in A&E) as he thought I was sort of breath--- excruciating pain does that to you, I've found!

youre doing all you can and I hope you find relief from the headaches soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.