Medication Options

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm on 15 mg of Mirtazapine and my doctor would like me to go on an ssri but I've been unable to tolerate any of them so far..

Are there any other options out there, I'm thinking of weening off medication all together but I'm apprehensive because of my depression and anxiety along with insomnia. Any thoughts on what to do going forward as I'm at a lost at what to do.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I am no GP. I would reccommend going to see another Doctor, and getting a second a opinion and some advise. Because some Doctors opinions vary.

I have mine appointment in half an hour. 

All the best! 

• Posted

Thanks Peter but I think he's a good doctor it's just been tough for him because I'm so sensitive to ssri medication and I was wondering what other options that there are if you can't tolerate them. The Mirtazapine has helped me sleep better but I have a good bit of side effects from it also which is why he's trying to get me on something else. It's been very frustrating and I'm not sure what I have left to do.

• Posted

Be interested to know what people come up with. I'm similar my body just can't seem to tolerate ssri although I previously responded. Has the mirtzapine increased your weight at all. Could doc not give you a higher dose as I've heard it only fights depression at 30mg. I know it's early days bit started sertraline last week and it's causing really bad insomnia which I just can't cope with. Doc said keep on taking them it might go away but nothing offered for sleep apart from a booklet. It's frustrating isn't it this meds game. Let me know how you get on

• Posted

I was on 30 mg for a while and just got down to 15 mg 3 weeks ago as I had side effects to deal with such as stomach cramps, tired a lot and I became very reclusive on it. I haven't put on weight but it does make your appetite increase I'm just very health conscious with food and working out. It's very frustrating because I really have no idea what I should do moving forward but I see my doctor today so hopefully we'll finally get a solution. 🙏🏻

Mirtazapine supposedly still helps with sleep at lower doses so you may want to ask your doctor if you can go on a low dose if your insomnia is too bad. Wish you the best of luck in the future Caroline as depression and anxiety really does take over your whole life.

• Posted

You need to be careful regards medications, if your GP wants to try you on a different type of medication there must be a very good reason.

If you are depressed and you withdraw from your medication you could become very ill. When your GP changes the drug you take try and take it just before bed this should help you sleep.

Before you stop tacking any medications you will need to discuss that decision with your GP. I am looking at your script above and it seems you are in a low dose, forgive me if I am wrong.

Good Luck

BOB

• Posted

Thanks Bob,

I did email my doctor of my decision and I do see him later today. I wish more than anything that I could make the ssri that I take work for me but I'm nauseous have stomach cramps and have brain pressure and dizziness most of the day on a low dose of 2.5 mg. I can't function at work like this and I don't have a choose but to stop taking it for now. Hopefully he'll come up with a solution or have me not take it in the morning anymore but I don't know if such a low dose is kicking my butt if he'll stay with it.

• Posted

Hi Rob,

Yes, there are other options out there, but in order to try them you would need to see a consultant / psychiatrist as a GP will not go there, period.

The class of medicines that I have in mind is called irreversible monoamine oxidase inhibitors, or MAOi. These were the first antidepressants ever invented and they are still considered to be the most effective antidepressant and anti-anxiety weapon in the psychiatric arsenal. However, if they’re so good, you could ask – why no one prescribes them these days? The answer is related to their dangerous side effects profile, where the simultaneous consumption of a MAOi and cheese, cured meet, yeasts extract or alcohol triggers a potentially lethal reaction (hypertensive crisis). Patients treated with these medicines have to follow a very strict diet and – in many cases – readjust their lifestyles accordingly. Also, the list of other drugs having very serious interactions with MAOi is quite long and includes almost all substances that you can get over the counter. If you think you could trade your eating habits for feeling better, discuss this option with your psychiatrist!

• Posted

Trying not to go there John if possible because of some of the side effects being really bad from what I've read. I'm just taking a week off from anything but the Mirtazapine right now to clear out the ssri medications and might try buspar after I level off just to supplement the Mirtazapine. Thanks for the reply and all the info!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.