Medication Query - post bunion op

Posted , 9 users are following.

Im 7 days post surgery (scarf akin procedure) and have been taking codeine with paracetamol since my operation. I just wondered when are you meant to stop taking the medication for pain, or at least start reducing the dosage required.

Can anyone offer some advice?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Natalie

You can stop with the medication and see how it feels. So if you can live without it don't take it I only took pain meds for the 1St 4 days, and after only as needed.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

• Posted

Awesome! 

I took it first several days but had some bad reactions. 

For my next surgery, I will ONLY take Tylenol ES and minimal amount of pain meds, if really necessary.

I have a high pain tolerance so depends on the person. 

ICE ICE ICE!!! Elevate and rest! First two weeks...

• Posted

Hiya I stopped the codeine at about day 5 and just took the paracetamol as and when I needed it, everyone is different so try cutting it down and see how you feel.

Speedy recovery 😊

• Posted

Thank you for your response!

I stopped the medication last week and I am feeling ok :-)

• Posted

Every person is different, so if you feel that you perhaps don't need the medication, then give it a go and see how your foot / feet feel. I took medication for about 3 days and then stopped. I felt fine, but everyone is different and experiences pain differently. Personal preference, I think.

I hope you have a speedy, pain free recovery.

Take care.

• Posted

I would ask your surgeon. My understanding is that you take it as long as you have pain that a non prescription pain medication can't hel.

• Posted

I took for 2 wks but you will know when to reduce. Everyone's pain threshold is different plus everyone heals differently and you are still so early on in. I am 5 wks post op & I still take painkillers. Some more than other days but am not bothered by it. If you need them, you need them.

Hope all heals well for you. ?

• Posted

Hi Natalie its personal really and up to the individual. I just took paracetamol for the third day only as I only needed it then, but I had had a nerve lock during surgery. I would mss a dose of codeine and see how you feel..you know how your pain threshold is. You could substitute with paracetamol and see if you can manage. Hope this helps. Good luck with your recovery smile

• Posted

Hi. Im 10 days post surgery. I had my original surgery back in july but had to have another operation due to non union.

First time round , i was in agony with the pain and the codeine and paracetmol didnt touch it. I was on painkillers regularly for 2 weeks plus.

This time howrver, the doc gave me oramorph to take and codeine ( not at same time). The pain wasnt what i experienced first time round and ive only had 8 doses in 10 days of codeine! My advice would be to try n increase the time intervals between doses n cut out the codeine first ( codeine and bedrest = constipation!!).

Good luck with your recovery. Im so looking forward to wed as i get a trip out to see my consultant. This bedrest business is so boring!!!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice!

I came off the medication last week. Had my two week checkup yesterday and had my bandage removed which has been replaced with a dressing and splint. Im experiencing a little pain now but it seems manageable.

It is hard going sitting around so much. I hope everything is going ok with you :-)

• Posted

Hi!

Glad you are doing well. Im back at hospital tomorrow to see the cosultant. My foot has started to itch tonight which is very uncomfortable. How long have they signed you off work?

• Posted

Now i have my bandage off my heel has become really red and sore :-(

Ive been signed off 6 weeks in total however i may need longer as my final checkout is after this!

Good luck with your appointment.

• Posted

Appointment went well. They need to keep bandage on for another 4 weeks. Ive got to try and keep my toes as still as possible during that time. Back for xray on 22.2.17!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.