Meds not working really desperate

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all. I'm on 80 mg esomeperazole and 600 mg ranatidine and it's not working. I wake up in a morning and within 10 minutes the burning starts. I'm hard,y eating anything, today I only had dry bread, I've cut out everything that could be triggers but it start before I eat and then doesn't stop. I'm in so much pain. Even water cause another wave of burning. I'm desperate for some advice. I've read things about gerd being caused by a lack of acid not excess and there's tonnes of contradictory advice about manuka honey etc.    I'm seeing a gastroenterologist in September but I'm terrified he's going to dismiss me like the last doctor did as he could find no evidence of gerd on endoscopy or barium swallow. I don't know whether to just stop the Meds and see what happens.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes I had an endoscopy and barium X Ray.
  • Posted

Hi, how are you taking your meds, I take 20mg esomeprazole first thing then 75 - 150 ranitidine later in the day.  If you are taking at the same time, don't you need to spread them out.  I used to need a lot more but over the years I have been taking them I have managed to wean down to 20mg per day. There is a test that you do to check whether you have too little or too much acid, you will need to google it but it is simple and involves bicarbonate of soda and depending on how long it takes to burp tells which you have.  I also have no evidence of gerd on endoscopy last one was done in January when I was in pain, nothing showed at all no redness or anything but I know that without my meds I am in agony within a couple of days.  Water causes me burning sometimes as well, but milk doesn't. The only other thing you can try is gaviscon advance, it is slightly different to normal and if you have before bed it forms a barrier so that acid does not come up in the night.  One other thing not eating will not help as being hungry causes acid.  Try stuff like porridge, eggs, mashed potatoes, plain chicken, yoghurt what I call beige food, no tomatoes until you are sorted, that it what helped me.  Take care, hope you get some relief soon.

• Posted

Thank you. Knowing what to eat is a real issue at the moment as I don't want to because I'm scared anything will make it worse.

• Posted

Hi

You can cure this condition without any medication at all ! I was the same, felt terrible. I suggest you purchase a book by Susie Bailey "Healthy Body, healthy weight, healthy mind" Available from Amazon. My chronic acid reflux was cured in 3 days, yes, 3 days ! I couldn't believe it - my IBS also disappeared and as a sufferer of hypothyroisism it was established after a blood test that the antibodies were drastically reduced. A win, win for me. Follow the advice given and see what it does for you. I wish you a speedy return to good health. No more medications with the nasty side effects. Hand on heart, it really works. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.