Meds post THR

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi

I'm due THR soon. Has anyone not had heavy duty painkillers to recover? If you have is it always morphine and tramadol. Thanks.

2 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Morphine first two days but made me sick so stopped all cept paracetamol but have a fairly high pain threshold
  • Posted

I had codeine and paracetamol the first few days and then just paracetamol 

land I wouldn't have managed without !!!

• Posted

Oh really nothing stronger? I've read peps take morphine and tramadol. A deadly combination. A great help. Thankyou.
  • Posted

Hi

I am 18 days post op and have survived only on paracetamol...

I have a huge allergy to morphine and all its derivatives...and.....have crohns disease so unable to take most pain relief as it affects my gut.

I am lucky as I have a high pain threshold and this is my second THR...the left being done last year and with the same story....apart from the dozy anaethetist who thought it would be acceptable to give me pethadine.......or bother to read my notes first *sighs*

Hope this helps

Xxxx

• Posted

Wow that's incredible just para. I've heard of this before. It's a real help thankyou. I'm already on low dose amitryptiline for back pain n really don't want to get too used to anything on top. Good luck. Xxx
    • Posted

I can't tolerate anti inflammatories, as I have ibs 

caused by over prescription of medications. I

tolerated the hospital painkillers ok, till they insisted

on day 3 that I be given anti inflamms, I had warned

them.

From arriving home I had no pain killers or anti inflamms,

only a mild sedative at night. I was ok.

cathie

• Posted

I only had paracetemol from day one and managed OK on that. Whatever they gave me in hospital made me sick so I just said  no thanks  when they came round with the drug trolley.
  • Posted

Hello Louise and all - My name isn't yet on the waiting list but have been diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis and suffer intense pain all the time, can't even sleep at night because of the pain. Am taking I roprofen codeine and codeine four times a day with tramadol twice a day which only alleviates the pain a little. Can anyone help with pain relief?
    • Posted

Can you request to be referred to a Pain Management clinic by your GP? You must be worn out sad.

• Posted

Marie, you will not need pain management. Trust me!! Your pain will go away after 1 week of the surgery.

Scoops

• Posted

Oops - was replying to Hilltop!! Totally agree -  massive decline in pain & discomfort a few days after surgery so relax re pain relief - no need usually for heavy doses
    • Posted

Hello Marie - I am worn out!  I think my Doctor's surgery is on a. Dug yet because I only get the pills and at the lowest dose, no mention if pain control clinics.  I was refused hydrotherapy by the physio as not being appropriate for me!  Love Hilltop
  • Posted

I had Naproxine and paracetamol, was also written up for co-codamol but have never needed them, also have not taken any painkillers at all since week 4 post op. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.