Meibomian blepharitis- anyone been CURED with Wet Ones for this type of blepharitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello,

I know symptoms very from person to person with blepharitis.

I have been using the Wet Ones for 2 weeks to deal with the bacteria.

Still have swollen lids~ I use heat compresses & massage for.

I don't even know if the Wet Ones are recommended for this type of blepharitis and that is my question....

Has anyone out there had total success curing Meibomian gland dysfunction which causes the blepharitis?

Others have "killed it" but it was a different type of bleph.

Thanks for any responses...

Susan

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Susan I am an ophthalmologist and many of my patients have blepharitis. Over the years, I have simplified my instructions to help people easily comply.

Johnsons baby shampoo is often recommended e.g. "make a fresh dilute solution each day with cooled previously boiled water". BUT the trouble is it takes half an hour to boil water and let it cool et cetera when people are often in a rush to take the kids to school or get to work. Also most people make the solution far too strong which causes irritation and defeats the purpose...  This is all way too FUSSY. 

So now I recommmend ordinay hair shampoo and apply when you are in the shower,

First wash your hair then with the suds on your finger tips proceed to rub on your your closed eyes and lashes with firm pressure from side to side for 30 seconds

then wash it all away. 

There it is - job done. 

This takes very little time. Most people shower daily or every other day.

The heat of a shower help to open the pores and Meibomian glands better than cold solutions.

The firm lid massage helps to loosen blocked secretions in the glands.

If your shampoo causes irritation try the brand "Simple". 

Never use soap near the eyes as it is too drying and can cause irritation.

I am concerned when people use cotton buds along their eyelashes because it is so easy to cause a corneal abrasion - ouch.

Blephasol is a useful cleansing agent but would advise using this in the same way in the shower (a few drops in the palm of the hand, then dip finger tips in it and then rub firmly on the closed lids and lashes and wash off again).

Alternatively Blephaclean sachets (like mini wet wipes but actually designed for the eyes).

The wet wipes often recommended on this site are in my opinion too strong and anyway it is impossible to sterilise the eyelids.

Of course this advice won't help everyone - but hopefully the majority. There is still a case for treating co-existing dry eyes with lubricant drops or gels etc.

• Posted

Thank you for this helpful information....

I am going to simplify the routine.

The antibaterial wipes seemed to help...but maybe they aren't necessary for MGD?

I appreciate your professional advise...

Susan

• Posted

Guess I'm not understanding you say to let shampoo run down

and rub into eyes and later you say never use soap near the

eys?????  How do you keep shampoo from burning your

eyes????

• Posted

Hi Faye,

Even baby shampoo will sting and some people apply it neat which is wrong. Very dilute is good. So if you are only rubbing with suds then it is dilute.

Secondly you keep your eyes closed throughout. The idea is to use your finger tips to massage and rub the eyelids and lashes and Meibomian glands.

Then you have to grope around to find and turn on the taps (this might be the hardest part).

• Posted

Hi Robert

I have very sensitive skin and moderate blep  on and off,I use the Blepasol or the blepaclean wipes to cleans my eyes morning and night 

however it states not to rinse the prouducts off? 

Do you think it is better to wash the prouduct off?

What do you think of the blepersteam goggels ?

thankyou.

Vanessa.

• Posted

Hi Vanessa,

Personally I would wash the stuff off but the residue from blephaclean is designed to stay on the lids wothout causing irritation. I guess it depends on how sensitive your eyes really are and see what works best.

Steam is another way of applying heat.  I have not tried nor recommended this product but again if it works and is safe I have no objection. Another way of heating the lids is the EyeBag. Stocked by some optometrists, else Google search "EyeBag Company". The bag contains flax seeds which have a high oil content and can be microwaved. I know this works well for some people.

• Posted

Hi Robert,

I have been ok leaving it on as yet,I spoke to some one about a year ago from the company in France  and they told me that it was good to leave on,and that the wipes had soothing ingredients  Vit A I think ,that should  help the skin of the eye area,I have been using the prouducts now for about 3 years and like them,I use the Blepasol for removing my eye makeup too,could you recomend a good eye makeup remover?

Thanks Vanessa.

• Posted

Hi yes I know the company Thea in Frande, (known as Thea-Spectrum in the UK).  They have a lot of good eye medications.  I am no expert on make up removal (being a mere man) but thought Blepha-wipes mght do.  I expect some people use cosmetic make up removal wipes to deal with blepharitis.

In general I would avoid cotton wool near the eyes especially if dry as it can leave irritating strands:  wipes or finger tips are better.

• Posted

Hi thanks they cost 10 euros fo a box of 20 here in Holland about £8 in the UK I sometimes use simple first and then the wipes, if I use the Blepasol I find useing ( can not  think of the name) but they are used if you had a graze or some thing like that and a bit like the wipes but dry until you drop the Blepasol on them  and they do not have stands so I find them better than cotton.

do you know off any good preservative free dry eye drops?

Thanks Vanessa.

• Posted

Hello (Doctor) Robert, 

Thank you for taking the time to help us with our questions...

Are Blepha-wipes comparable to OcuSoft wipes? 

Do I use a.m. and p.m. or just once a day?

I just bought some and wonder if I need to rinse off after using?

Is baking soda in water a good alternative eye wash (less expensive!)

Does that need to be rinsed off?

Eye lids and lashes are drying out.

Can you please recommend an oil for lashes and lids I can use am. and p.m.? Is vaseline ok? 

Thank you again for your help!

Susan

• Posted

My brother-in-law is an opthamoligist in Fl....not too far from

where I live but he is not my doc.....says not to put vaseline

in your eye that it can get behind the eyeball and cause

more problems....maybe the doc on this site can suggest

something.  I use the anti-biotic ointment my doc gives me

and use it very sparingly.  I put just a tiny amount in the crease

above the eye (where you would put eyeshadow and it helps

take away that pricking feeling.

• Posted

Hi Susan

Yes I had mybomian cyst it was pricking at first, I went to eye hospital casualty (I am in UK) I was recommended to have bicarbonate +  boiled

water solution bathe the eye from corner to corner once, then dispose. Do this with each new pad for a few minutes after morning shower and then in the evening.  It stopped the pricking sensation but the cyst was obvious in the corner of the eye for ages until I stopped looking because I was not troubled by it.

You can also do the warm wet flannel bathing as well as many times during the day as you like I guess.  Now I am following this I realise I have not examined my eye for ages, but if the cyst annoyance is the beginning of Blephitis I suppose I have caught it in time.  Previously though I had a spate of watery eye and I had some solution from the eye hospital and bathed that in an eye bath.  They said that was blocked tear ducts, and one time I had an eye wash done by the hospital and that lasted for a very long time then.  It can be exasperating the eye bathing thing but patience wins out I have found.  Best Wishes!

• Posted

Thanks, Winifred....

I have simplified my rountine ... The most important thing is just to keep the lid margins very clean; so morning and night they get extra cleansing. Heated eye pads/massage for swelling ....and eye drops.

I'm glad you had success with the eye bathing..

Best wishes,

Susan

• Posted

When my Blepharitis was at it's worst, I found more than anything I wanted something that would soothe the skin around the eyelash area and the outer part of the eyes.  It was just so sore from all the bathing and heat.  I use Liz Earle Eyebright eye lotion.  You can even wipe the eyes over whilst wearing contact lenses.  I find the baby shampoo too harsh too.  I use the bicarbonate of soda but only half a teaspoon to a large mug of boiled water.  The eye hospital have even said that plain pre-boiled water is fine too.  I also now use the eyebag which is so much better than wet flannels.  The secret of keeping it under control is to do this daily, even when you really don't feel like it.   I hope this has helped.  Now I wonder if someone can help me please.  As a woman of 51 I like to use products to help stop the ageing process of the eyes and help with dark circles too.  But, the products on the market are mostly quite greasy and I worry about the effect it may have on the blepharitis.  Can anyone help.  When I've ever asked at the beauty counter they all reccomend there own regarless.

Thanks Netz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.