Melanoma scare help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've just turned 20 years old and about a year ago I noticed a new small pin prick mole at the side of my breast. I was concerned but just left it as I read new moles develop all the time- now a year later I have notice that it has grown significantly it's not the size of a normal mole a little small than a pencil eraser but is it normal for it to grow this quick?? It's slightly darker brown in the centre and a lighter brown on the outsides and is circular. It has scared me because I took a photo of it a year ago and it was small and dark and now it has grown this quick- is that normal? I'm stressing out 😩

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Does the mole have ragged edges?  Or is it perfectly round?

Usually the ones with ragged edges and dicoloration with brown and black are of concern.

• Posted

I've attached some photo's. Mole 1 (the darker one) is the one in question and the other one is on the same breast has been for about three years- i've never really bothered about it until this new one popped up x
    • Posted

I'm not a Dr....but I have a mole on my ankle that appeared years ago and has not changed in color...remains pink.

I remember at the time I was researching moles on line...that the type of moles you have...are concerning and should be checked by a dermatologist or at the very least by a Dr.

The newest one...also seems to be forming oddly.

Please check it out...early detection is KEY.

• Posted

HI, having had a melanoma, and looking at your pics, I suggest you go see a dermatologist.

Of course, you are stressing out, and that is normal, but if you get the dermatologist to have a look and it does need removal, you will find most likely it is an early stage one and once removed that will be all that is needed.

ANY mole which changes needs attention.

Mine was larger but similar and was removed and all is fine now.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply- I went to see a doctor this morning and she literally looked at them for about a second- measured them and sea if they were fine. I am not convinced and she has not filled me with very much confidence- the darker one has literally gone from freckle sized to this size in about seven months and even after telling her this she said its normal. I feel worse now than I did before. We can't see a dermatologist unless we're referred so I don't know how to get into contact with one 😩 Xx
    • Posted

Personally I would find another GP. GP's are not trained in dermatology and many get it wrong. Having had experience like you with doctor's saying they are fine and they weren't (one told me I was being vain!!!) my strongest push is go find another GP and ask for a referral. One can never be too careful.

And to put her straight, That is NOT normal to go from freckle to large in 7 months and with two colours and ragged edge. Kick up the bum to her, I say!

Cheers

• Posted

I'm going to get hold of my other gp later on today- she said as I'm only just 20 it is normal for moles to develop and my family are all quite Moley people. The darker mole isn't jagged edge I think that might be the photo. It's darker in the middle with a lighter brown circle ring around it. Thanks for you replies- it's hard not to think the worst and I've convinced myself I'm dying- Heath anxiety is not fun!! X
    • Posted

I was only 17 when I had my first one off and it was Stage One Melanoma. So age is irrelevant. Boy! I'd like to send that GP some Skin Cancer and Melanoma information booklets! LOL! I am the only one in my family who is very moley.I have red hair and blue eyes and very pale skin. Recipe for disaster in my case!

Even so, if the pic shows it ragged and it isn't in real life, it would still be best to see a dermatogist once a year, due to your moles evolving and your family being moley.

Like I said, one can never be too careful when it comes to our health. Better to know its just a typical mole than...well, you get it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.