Memory loss and cognitive impairment, meds not helping

Posted , 3 users are following.

Greeting from SouthEast. Psychiatric awareness are poorly practiced here in Indonesia. I am looking support from you guys.

Here's my story.

I've been struggling on cognitive impairment (brain fog) issue for abt 5 months. I never suspected before that this might be due to depression but after series of consultation with neurologists they refer me to psychiatric facility thou. Apparently they diagnosed me with major depressive disorder an the funny part is that i don't experience any psychological trauma or major live events to be considered as trigger factor. Am I just genetically predisoaed toward it? Idk. It seemed to happen overnight.

My most devilitatimg shmptom is lack of energy and cognitive impairment. My memory is soooo bad, both in short term ir long term. Retrieval is far from accurate and I could only recall 20% of it. I could instantly forget things in just 4 seconds. And son't ask me about comminicating, It's tiring because I should constantly remember the context of cinversation. I also suffer from focus and concentration issue.

Before I am experiencing this brain fog, my memory is very great. I din't even need to try when somene ask me about specifc subject. I am an art curator and also working as scholar and lecturer. Currently pursuing my magister degree. But apparently things ruined since I am experiencing this cignitive issue. I stop working, I lost my job, and focusing for my health right now,. Taking Zoloft 50 mg per day religiously didn't help. My psychotherapy session also contributes nothing. Seemed that my therapies couldn't understand my problem.

Honestly I don't know what to do and to whom I should seek help. They said that I am hypochondriac and this brain fog is only in my mind. I am hopeless because they couldn't understand me.

I am seeking advixe from anyone who happen to experience similar problem. Will I get my cognition back? Will my memory improve later?

Any suggestion?l and advice?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear Gumilar - if I would experience the same as what you describe - I would feel very lost and frightened. That does not mean that I should or had reason to feel lost and frightened. It just means there is something unfamiliar going on right now and, as with most unfamiliar things; one has to be patient and kind to oneself. Questions usually gets answered and that is when we can deal with them.

I have not experienced brain-fog or memory problems myself (although some friends might disagree...) but I have friends who have described the symproms you are describing. They too have been given medications and, sometimes, it has made things worse before the doctors get the meds right.

Zoloft is an antidepressant and not suitable for everyone. As many SSR's: It can make you more detached. Some other medications can make you more focused. You really need to tell your doctors about your 'progresses' and how you get on with the medication.

Anything can trigger a spell of depression. It could be a past memory deeply buried, pressure of exams, drugs, break-up, family stuff etc.. It doesn't matter how small it seems and how much you feel you should be able to cope with it.

What matters is to give yourself time to figure out what is happening with you.

If you can - then give yourself that chance. Ask yourself if the work was right. If people around you are right.. And be honest with you.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Tancam

Well, I did try to describe to my therapist about my progresses but it seemed that they always misinterpreted it. Brain fog seemed to be the least of my psych's concern. They tend to address my state of emotion. I try to convince them that If i get my cognition back I would be really fine. I am not an emotional person before and flatness of emotion has been my character.

Could my un- or subconscious issue be the culprit? I am not consciously and aware of having any emotional conflict and trauma before this depression. I was a passioante, analitycal, fierce person and always on top of the game. I do also have a great and supportive family and friends. Now i feel like a crap. Useless as a clap.

Unfortunately, my options for antidepressant are limited here since we only manufacture some types of SSRIs (fluoxetine sertraline escitalopram fluvoxamine) and only effexor for SNRI (did try to no avail). We don't even have Wellbutrin, which I consider could address my cog issue - at least as an attempt since sertraline didn't work at all.

Should I switch my meds or just faithfully waiting for it effects? My doc said that It would take time. Should I consider bumping up the dose? 50 mg of sertraline sounds too 'elementary' for my issue perhaps?

• Posted

B12 has a lot to do with memory. Did they test your blood for b12 levels? Other then that check your messages.
    • Posted

Yep, already taking b12 (methylcobalamin) 400mcg and folic acid 1 mg daily for my memory issue but still, i couldn't really tell if I benefit any improvement.

I already took MMSE (Mini Mental State Examination) and it appeared that my cognitive ability was within 'normal' range and my assessor think that I made up my condition. Perhaps I could still function as a normal person but since my job demand my best cognitive function, it slowly gettkng worse and worse to the point that I couldn't keep up my job and career. Totally depressed.

What is the point of 'being normal' if you couldn't work at all?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.