Memory loss or memory fog after DVT and PE, using rivaroxaban / warfarin /Clexane

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone had or considers they have an increased memory loss or memory fog specifically before and after diagnosis with either PE or DVT and then subsequently on anticoagulation therapy?

Were you struggling with memory fogginess before you were diagnosed or is it just since?

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gillian,

I'm so glad you have brought this up. I have experienced this memory loss after taking warfarin for a DVT. I never had any trouble with my memory before my DVT, infact my work colleagues always commented how good my memory of things was. I did speak to my doctor at first who just laughed and said I was making it up. However I got referred to a haemotologist who said that warfarin can induce memory problems but its not common. I will say that it does seem worse with higher dosages but that might just be me. I'm in the process of being put on Rivaroxaban and so I'll see if this makes a difference.

• Posted

Gillian,

I have had severe memory loss since my heart surgery. I am Coumadin for the rest of my life because I had my aortic valve replaced with a mechanical valve. I was told that if you have heart surgery, you will have memory loss. Now I wonder if it is the Coumadin causing it.

• Posted

I had pulmonary embolism him and I am on the drug Xarelto. I absolutely am suffering memory problems it is so frustrating! I can't seem to retain anything for longer than a few minutes. I constantly set reminders but they have to be labeled otherwise I forget when the alarm goes off for the reminder what it was for.

• Posted

Yes, i definitely have memory problems after p.e. It isnt the p.e., dont let them tell you that, its the warfarin i am sure as i had to come off it for an op last year and imfelt so much better, then started it again and its just worse.  Imdont think the newer anticoagulants are any better either.  I wish drs would listen to patients when they tell them. I used to be sharp as a tack, always remembered everything. Now my husband has to write even the shopping list.  I hate what this has done to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.