Meniere's and Nicotinamide Riboside

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been taking Nicotinamide Riboside at a fairly low dose (125mg every other day). For me it has a great energy boosting effect and clears that minor foggy feeling to make me feel more present, esp when tired. 

?I have suffered from Meniere's for a number of years with attacks sometime lasting days. I had an attack a few weeks ago and noticed that my recovery period was a lot quicker, I though maybe this was something to do with the NR that I was taking.

Last night I had another attack, I decided to double up on the previous days dosage. As I write this I can feel the ear fullness, the increased fogginess that comes with my attacks and the dizziness lifting by the minute. I haven't ever recovered from an attack within 24 hours but feel this maybe a possibility. it's always been about a week for the full effects to dissipate. Is this just a coincidence / placebo? Has anyone else tried NR?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi JanLance,

I've also tried NR...It took about a month to kick in, but then....OMG....the energy!  I was sooo happy!  But then it seemed to have a cumulative effect....I never thought I'd find anything that was "too energizing", but I couldn't take it.  My jaw was clamped shut, and my eyes were wide open 24/7!  I tried titrating the dose, but couldn't get it right.

I'm so fascinated end encouraged that you feel good on NR, and that you think that it might be shortening your episodes!!  Yay!  I take innner ear steroid injections, but in my heart of hearts, I'm always wishing that a natural solution will come along, that will help all of us...and I've tried a LOT of them! But my mind is very open, and I'm always willing to try something that can't do any harm.

My episodes also take a week for recovery.  That would be incredible if the NR shortens your episodes!

I hope you'll keep us updated!  I've never met anyone else who has tried NR.  

Best wishes,

J

• Posted

Just an update.. 2 Days on and i'm symptom free. no rigning in the ears or fullness. Back to baseline dizzyness... maybe even less.

FYI my NR is LifeCellResearch Niagen

Dosage: I started on two 250mg a day, felt awsome then unwell after three days. I then dropped very low 125mg everyother day. I upped to 250mg the day of my attack.

I also hear that it's good to keep carbs up, maybe that's why i crashed?

• Posted

Same brand I used. I never knew that keeping carbs up was important with Niagen - nothing about that on the website or product lit, at the time. (Probably close to a year ago,). Do you know what that's about? Hmmm. I'm always on low carb... I wonder what effect that has?

But I'm SO glad to hear that you're still doing well! Back to baseline in 2 days? That's pretty amazing!! I truly hope this continues to help you feel better!!! Please let me know how it goes! (Perhaps I'll give it another go, but at MUCH lower doses!)

Take good care,

J

• Posted

I read about people crashing on NR, I think it was on a longevity site somewhere. They went quite deep into processes, beyond what I could understand. But I think the idea was, if it's giving you an energy boost, then you better have the resources to feed it or you are going to feel bad.

I also think it's important to take a regular break from them. My plan is 2 weeks on 1 off.

I'm not saying it will help everyone, or anyone for that matter. But for me something is happening. I hope that others may feel better to.

• Posted

Jay,

From what I've seen, everyone responds to drugs and supplements a bit differently.  Still, it's great to share your experience...just in case! 

Your explanation of needing the carbs to feed the Niagen energy boost makes sense.  Thank you.

Take good care!

J-

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.