Meniere's medication and IVF/adoption

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all... I'm new to this forum

Ive just been diagnosed with right sided Menieres, I'm reading quite alot of stuff on Menieres and getting quite worked up and upset about it all...

I've been put on Betahistine, initially 8mg for 6 weeks and its now increased to 16mg. TBH i'm having more dizzy spells since being on the medication yet the fullness feeling in my right ear seems to have calmed down.

My query is, has anyone ever been through IVF and pregnancy whilst on Betahistine? I'm not keen on coming off the medication if it means my vertigo attacks will come back...

Also, RE: adoption, having menieres would this decrease our chances to adopt?

I've read alsorts of horror stories where your hearing goes, you can't work, you can't drive etc...

I'm just feeling really down about this Menieres diagnosis at the moment.

Any help especially re pregnancy would be gratefully appreciated

M x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

My menieres attacks started last year and whilst I had Labyrinthitis on a few occasions it was nothing like the menieres.  The most helpful programme I found is vestibular rehab  but it is not easy to start with.  I have made it part of my life over the last year and rely on it totally if I recognise any possible symptoms of a menieres attack.  It is good to read up about it but it can all be too much.  However it is worth knowing that you can keep it under control with a few changes in your routine.  Good luck

• Posted

I sympathise with your worries. I was diagnosed right-sided meniere's over 3 years ago. I take a water tablet each morning and 3 x 16mg Betahistine a day. It's so difficult to reassure another meniere's sufferer as we are all so different. I have permanently lost about 80% hearing in my affected ear, have balance problems and suffer with tinnitus. I don't drive but I do work a minimum 35 hour week but do have time off when the spells are bad. I've been spell-free for 5 months (my longest gap yet). I felt the same despair as you in the early days but it does just become something you live with and I cope much more than I used to. I can't help on the pregnancy front unfortunately but fingers crossed you will be a mild sufferer and it won't affect your life too much. Good luck
  • Posted

Have you been properly assessed by a Consultant Aural Physician* or ENT Surgeon to confirm the diagnosis? If they are up to date with the latest research they will probably raise your betahistine dosage a lot more. In my case 16 mg tds did not bring full control although like you my ear fullness did reduce and I got some hearing recovery. My Aural Physician tripled the betahistine dose to 48mg tds since when I have had no more attacks. After 6 months I was able to gradually come off the drug and so far have remained well - the caveat is that if symptons start to return I am advised to resume the maximum dose I was on and if necessary increase it further. There are patients taking 2 to 3 times what I was taking! I cannot help you with the IVF issue except to say that Betahistine is outstandingly free of side effects. 70% of sufferers get better so that is a reason to be cheerful.

Driving - I asked my Consultant whose advice was that if I knew an attack was beginning I should immediately pull over, stop and seek assistance. As I do know I have informed DVLA who have cleared me to continue driving on that basis, a great relief. BUT if you have no or insufficient warning to park safely you should not drive.

In summary seek the most up to date professional advice and be positive - chances are you will recover.

*I have no idea where in the world you are but the Aural Physician who helped me is Dr Peter West, at St Richards Hospital, Chichester, W Sussex. UK.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the confidence. Ive been diagnosed by a ENT consultant surgeon, I was initially put on 8mg Betahistine 7 weeks ago and was told it takes time to kick in, I saw the consultant last week and they doulbled it and said to see him again in 1 months time for another review.

I'm based in the North West, Lancashire.

This morning I had an attack, always seems to be the mornings when I wake up, my theory is depends on the side I sleep on. (only a theory). I woke up feeling sick, I sat up and felt very dizzy and off balance. I took a Procloperazine to calm it down and phoned work to say I would be late in whilst Im waiting for the tablet to kick in, usually kicks in within and hour. I dont get attacks of dizziness straightaway, only in the mornings when waking up. It seems to improve through the day but then im exhausted by 8pm and need an early night.

• Posted

High dose betahistine treatment is based on the research of  Prof Michael Strupp in Munich, Germany who has put some of his research subjects on more than ten times the max recommended dose without any significant side effects apart from the well known risk of gastric irritation..

Sorry to hear you have had another attack on waking. That has happened to me 2 or 3 times. Prochlorperazine is a powerful sedative anti-emetic (as well as an anti-psychotic drug) which is one reason why you feel so tired afterwards. Buccastem is the same drug that you tuck under your top lip where in theory it is more quickly adsorbed and hence may work more quickly. Be warned though, the last time I used it it failed totally and I was incapacitated for over 18 hours. Its worth trying a standard anti travel sickness remedy as an alternative (less potentially damaging) drug esecially if you are in an IVF programme.

• Posted

Hi,

Don't stress over anything, thats the first thing. It makes it worse.  You will get your hearing back, sometimes intermittently, and when the Betahistane takes hold (about 2 weeks or so) you will have long periods of normality. The main thing to remember is watch your salt intake, caffeine intake and stress levels!

If you feel an attack coming on, you can take 4 Prochloraperazine tablets (from your GP) and these can stop an attack progressing, but still take your Betahistine.  

Everyone is different but I take 8 tablets every two days and 6 otherwise. Works for me but discuss with your doctor.

• Posted

Hi

I have had MD for about 4 years now, Ive had an operation on my right ear, I have also lost my hearing in that ear and some hearing in my left ear. I drive and I also foster. Hopefully you should be ok

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.