Meniscus injury

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Over the last few years I have had various injuries to my right knee, I have ruptured my ACL twice and have torn my MCL also. Something that has also been very problematic is my medial meniscus, it just keeps tearing.

When I first ruptured my ACL about 4 years ago I also had the meniscus trimmed down during surgery because there was a large tear in it. Since that day, I have had it trimmed down twice again- amongst other surgeries.

After so many injuries to it, you get to know the feeling of when its torn and I am 100% sure that I have another tear in it again, right on the inside of my right knee. It has been there for a couple of months now but has become increasingly problematic in the last week.

I was wondering if anyone has suffered similarly to me and has any suggestions on how to prevent it from happening, or how to minimise its effect. Bearing in mind that I am only 19 so I need to sort it out.

Thanks very much

James

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

OMG James you poor thing!

You are so young!

You need Oldfatguy on here he is our 'go to' for questions.

He has forgotten more than most of us know.

He will answer you.

Take care

Ann

The Irish One!

• Posted

I would get to a sports medicine doctor or physical therapist with sports medicine degree. One of these people should be able to give you the proper excercises and determine why you have this tendency to have soft tissue. Deficiency
  • Posted

James, if you're having so many problems it's time to go back tothe professionals, namely your Doctor and ask him in no

uncertain terms for him/her to refer you to a consultant on the

NHS. Ask them all the questions you need answering, ask them what's the best course of action. I know several well qualified

physios with Masters degrees who've helped me but would still sooner listen to the person at the very top and who has the

where with all to do something about it. Even if it's surgery.

Get the ball rolling as it takes time. A possible tip is, when you

see your Doctor ask him how long to the feferal then ask him if

he could refer you to a consultant who would be quicker. It may mean a bit of travelling but will be worth it. I was actually referedto a private hospital within the same town. It took two weeks for

the consultant to see me and then 8 weeks after that I had a

total knee replacement, in the private hospital on the NHS.

You have to come across as someone who wants it sorting out

and wanting to get back to work.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your advice. I do actually have private health insurance and have seen the same consultant since the original injury. So I will try and get a referal to see him. The only problem will be the reluctancy of the insurer to pay for any treatment as I have had so much already paid for.
    • Posted

If what you have is a "new" injury you should not have any issues with the insurance company.  Your consultant should be able to help you and come up with a solution if they (insurance comany) wont play ball.  I assume you play a lot of sport.  From the sounds of things you have not allowed yourself to recover completely from the previous injuries (impatience). By taking things a little slower and build up your muscles properly, it will/would protect the twisting, jerking stresses that your knee goes through.  If you ignore the pain for too long, you will do more damage; but you know this already.  Go see the consultant. If you keep to the same guy, he will know your history better as well as being in a position to help you deal with the insurance company.  As it is an ongoing problem and you are a private patient, you should be able to approach your consultant's office directly.  Good luck, dont let this get you down. You will get through it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.