Menopausal fibrocystic breasts

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is there anyone out there who was diagnosed with fibrocystic breasts after menopause? 

Also, has anyone ever known this condition to disappear by itself?  Or does anyone have any tips or recommendations on how to make this go!!! (not so much getting rid of the pain, but getting rid of the actual condition itself?)

I have never had any breast problems in my life, but last year I was recalled after a routine mammogram.  After many tests - ultrasounds, two needle biopsies, an MRI and many more mammograms, I was eventually diagnosed with benign fibrosis and was offered surgery. They also said that I have very dense breasts. What is puzzling me is that from what I've read this is mainly a younger woman's condition I can only imagine that this is due to fluctuating hormones, possibly excess estrogen (it has been 5 years since I had a period).  I have decided not to go ahead with the operation, which now means that unless this condition disappears, I'm guessing that I will need to be constantly monitored for the rest of my life, which isn't great either.   

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello jillgrace

Sorry I can't help you. I am post menopause and have just started having probs myself, still giving tests. All I can say is that if you are going to be closely monitored that may be a good thing because if something nasty does start, you will find out early on. All the best with it though.

x

• Posted

Thank you for replying Deb. I am grateful that so far nothing sinister has been found but nonetheless it is still a worry.  I hope that your tests come out ok too.

x

• Posted

You are welcome. Yes, I'm keeping everything crossed re tests. It was interesting actually when I was at the breast clinic this week, the number of men that were presenting with breast lumps. It seems it's not just us women that have to go through all the worry.

good luck 

• Posted

Hi Im 55 and think I am in the menopause.  Had a missed period then it came back but short gap between the next one, only 3 weeks.  Now I have just found a painful lump above my nipple tender to the touch and swollen.  Im panicking and came on this site to find out if it may be linked to the menopause and my age.  Saw your post about fibrocystic breast.  I started blaming myself as I started taking soya isoflavones a month ago, even though the girl in the health food shop said they werent advisable if history of breast cancer in family.     I didnt think anyone in my family had it, but not sure further back.  Now im worried i caused the lump to form by taking these natural tablets which mimic oestrogen naturally and they have caused this painful lump.  Then I racked my brains trying to think if i knocked my breast.  I remembered leaning on it for a long time in church the other day  praying!! sorry it sounds funny.     I hope I havent damaged myself .  oh well I am going to docs tomorrow and will make an appointment .  I hope m aybe it is this condition fibrocystic  as at least then i know its not cancer.    I have had 2 mammagrams both negative .   I will  let you know if its your condition and what the doc says.
  • Posted

Thank you for replying Julia.  I hope that your lump turns out to be nothing to worry about.  I would be interested in hearing what the doctors say - please keep me posted.  It's all such a worry for us older ladies isnt it!!!

x

• Posted

After menopause, I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breast disease. It wasn't concerning then. They suggested I stop drinking coffee. It helped so next year, the disease was gone.

This is the first year I have been drinking coffee. My breast exam and mammograms have been normal. This week, though, my left breast started hurting. I've been on vaginal hormones, 2 mg a week because I had been bleeding. I stopped the coffee and the pain went away, but the lumps stayed. I was off coffee for a week and the pain stopped. The lumps were there, but no pain. Today I drank coffee and my left breast hurt again. So, no more coffee.

Should I call my doctor, or should I just stay off coffee and wait and see?

• Posted

I was rrecently diagnosed as well. It's painful. I am 45 Anne haven't had a menstrual cycle in 8 years!

I really don't want to give up coffee. Any other advise? I'm not on hormone therapy so I'm also confused as to why this is happening now?

Any advice is appreciated.

• Posted

Sorry. Autocorrect. I meant to say and not Anne.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.