Menopause, Hormone Replacement, and LS

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I am 43 and just had my LS confirmed and also found out I am going thru menopause. I first started having LS symptoms about 18 months ago right when I stopped having my period. Just wondering if anyone has experienced the two together and if they are related somehow? I am otherwise healthy. Also, has anyone's LS improved after going on hormone replacement? My dr. prescribed clob and Prempro which I am not too excited about starting. I am so young for menopause and really just want it all to go away!! I am also going to be doing the Mona Lisa soon. Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, welcome to the forum,

I'm 52,I have finished my menopause,like you I do believe that there

Is a connection between the two,

I do have an underactive thyroid, which, I've had since my 20's

But, other than that I have been very luck and always kept fit ,I use to jog

Eat quite healthy and I'm only ,8st 8,

So not over weight ,

But since going through the menopause I seem to have gone down hill,

But my Dr advised me not to take hormone replacement, he just said

Weather the storm,

It's so heard to know what to do at times,

Good luck with the Mona Lisa,

Please keep in touch,

Xxx

• Posted

Hi jib,

just wanted to to say hello, you'll find lots of information on here and can discuss openly with people something which is hard to do otherwise about L S.  I started peri at 41 maybe your Mam started peri early mine did.  Mine finished 2011 so 10 years peri to post.   The clob does ease things

• Posted

My story is exactly like yours except that my menopause was at 46. It triggered LS for sure. I was prescribed HRT but didn't get on with it, felt like I had constant morning sickness, tried several and it obviously wasn't right for me, so I weathered the storm as I had no other option. It wasn't too bad for me, I suppose I was lucky, certainly less traumatic that HRT... I know everyone reacts differently.

When I first found this forum there were a lot of posts trying to work out what triggered LS. There were quite a few women who said it was the hormone changes around menopause that did it for them.

Got to stop, kids about to come home and no privacy in our house. Half term next week but I'll try to finish this post if they sleep in...

Good Luck.

• Posted

Absolutely, I think it does trigger it. I had complete hysterectomy and went on hormone replacement immediately after. I was fine for years this way. By the time I moved and changed Doctors (I am in the USA), I ran out of my perscription for my patch I used. My new Dr felt I should go off of it. I just turned 50 at the time and had been on hormone replacement for several years. Sorry to say most male Drs seem to be the ones that think you shoulnt take HRTs for too long as stroke risk and other risks increase they say. Well I started having problems after stopping the HRT. Sudden menopause is not good. It took at least a year to figure out the changes were beyond normal and to diagnose LS. I started seeing a wman gyno and she said she is willing to let me go back on HRT. She thinks it is fine but I have not chosen to do that yet. I tried HRT cream and it helped a little bit but Ive gone through the complete menopause so I dont think it makes sense to start HRTs again. No more hot flashes since about 5 or 6 months ago. I did Mona Lisa but we didnt treat the LS. At the time hadnt diagnosed it. I am going to request trying it next for sure. 

I read all the posts. I am trying the baking soda. For sure I have to be careful with irritation. I started using Vaseline as a protectant during the day. I live in Florida and its hot. Sweating is a big irritant. I try to exercise by walking and find its irritating also so I just make sure to keep using Vaseline. 

Im struggling with these diet things because I just dont understand how if LS is a disease, how can sugar and or other things in our diet make a difference? If it was an allergy I could understand, but is it just an acid thing that makes it more irritated?

• Posted

I wonder if wee has anything to do with it.  I presume what we eat comes out in wee.  It's just I can tell if I've fed my guinea too much calcium foods as her urine changes more opaque. I don't know if it's the same for us.   I can't give up treats totally I have a sweet tooth unfortunately, plus I need a little bit of something to look forward to especially with all this going on. X 

• Posted

Hi, new to the LS affliction- have been going to a male gynecologist since my hysterectomy- have concluded he knows very little about the condition or cares about the sufferings- requested HRT replacement therapy - he refused.  He prescribed Estrace cream to be placed in the vagina a couple of times a week - also received the steroid cream with vague instructions for application. The combination of the two creams resulted in the condition I have called "crouch on fire".  I returned to doctor for help but he refused to even look at the situation - he then said he could refer me to a dermatologist- I felt relieved until I found out the appointment wasn't for 2 months.   I had to travel to a larger city to find doctors familiar with the condition.  So I have found out u shouldn't use any type of cream on the affected areas - only use ointment- currently on prednisone for 5 more days - refuse at this point to use the steroid ointment because of the discomfort- burning, redness , irritation.  I feel that the loss of estrogen is the cause of the condition - with out estrogen the skin of the vulva changes causing the auto immune response creating the inflammation and the other symptoms.  The loss of estrogen also results in the inability to absorb calcium - so I am taking calcium supplements.  I have also figured out that individuals with a sensitive immune system (iinsect bites that swell immediately and persist for days ) are the individuals that suffer from LS.   I am not a happy camper and have decided if there were more female gynecologist that are post menopausal we the suffering would have better options.   So I propose giving  LS women estrogen and watch the results - we should have the option.  😒

• Posted

Yes, this sounds exactly like me. my skin has always been sensitive and yes big bites blow up on me really bad. The Drs persribed same things for me. They gave me the steroid ointment, but it burned so bad I couldnt stand it so they changed it to the cream. Just nothing is good enough. I also took estrace. I recently started to put the estrace on like a cream on the outside vulva area where the problem is. Not sure this will work but inserting it like perscribed didnt do much. I am trying every other evening and I use the clob cream the other days. This is a new experiment. But the way you are saying, this might not be a good idea? 
    • Posted

I am so frustrated with the lack of information and the lack of consideration from most gynecologists - there should be mandatory procedures in every Ob/Gyn office for women that are no longer taking HRT therapy or choose not to following menopause - there has to be an increase in the number of LS suffers since the medical protocols for estrogen replacement have changed - I understand the concern if u still have a uterus and ovaries but if u don't then the risk for those types of cancers is greatly reduced - having stopped and started HRT therapy a few years ago trying to find the one that worked the best - i experienced positive changes in the vagina and the vulva.  Ok, so here we are no estrogen - my theory is the lack of estrogen has resulted in vulvar skin that is too dry therefore there are microscopic openings that allow bacteria to penetrate the upper layers of the skin creating the itiching which triggers inflammation and creates our situation .   So, I am using an antibiotic ointment on the areas that itch and Vaseline as a moisturizer for all other areas - I am hoping the Vaseline will prevent irritation and therefore less itiching and less inflammation.    Don't know what I will do next - i am hoping I won't have a relapse following the end of the prednisone.  

I tried the estrace cream on the exterior skin but couldn't continue because of the irritation- the out of town Gyn Doc ( nice , compassionate, older guy) said it burns the skin.   I freaked out in the beginning- telling my self " no I will not allow these labia to disappear - no I will not be disfigured " - now I'm concentrating on no pain and moisturized tissue to prevent any further changes.    The big question is "what did our mothers and grandmothers do?"      FRUSTRATED!!!

• Posted

Hi Karen,

i agree reed with regards depletion of oestrogen and attitude towards menopause.  I think because it is considered a natural part of a females life they do not realise how bad things feel, I.e night sweats, cold sweats, day flushes, dizziness, depression, boob itches which I currently have and I think it does feel like a diseas all of it especially the L S and dryness and soreness.  I have been offered oestrogen cream as well and am so reluctant to try it as I've read about stinging etc. And I'm not that good at new products on my skin either it always seems to react.  I think our mothers and grandmothers maybe didn't have a great deal of information as a lot of ours comes from the internet once diagnosed.   My Mam especially didn't ever talk about things personal I think that was their generation I wish she had I certainly talk about it to my daughter and she now has learnt about these problems.  I think if we pass knowledge on by talking about it and just informing them even they know more and can watch out for things.  X 

• Posted

Thank you to everyone's replies. I am just so tired of LS, I have only had it a year and cannot imagine having it the rest of my life. I am so tired of trying diffferent creams and remedies. It itchy one day and sore, red or has tears. Everyday it is something new and different and it also is in the anal area. I am 43 going thru menopause and trying to deal with all of the symptoms that go along with it. Just started on hormone therapy. Clob takes away the itch but burns my skin so then I use aquafor. Feeling so hopeless, not to mention my husband and I have not had sec in over a year. I am just done!

• Posted

Please don't dispare,

Sending you massive hugs and loads of love,

I've not met one person yet other than medical, who has ever

Heard of this awful desease,

We have each other,

Take care xxxx

• Posted

Hi

I have LS had it for 3 years 56 now came on after the menopause. I dont have the itch but it took me 2years to get it calm. I used zink and caster oil to calm things down along with clob and estriol cream. I take baking soda baths at least 3 times a week. Clob twice a week and estriol cream twice a week and put it on the dry area every day just a little. I have used emuaid which worked well but dont need it now diet semi paleo and low alcohol. No under wear. Just leggins and skirts. Can enjoy sex again. So there is lighr at the end of the tunnel. Just a big challenge stress is a big problem to affect it instantly. Keep going you will wirk it out. One more thing my mum had it but kept it a secret. My sister told me.

Big hug xx

• Posted

Big hugs to you!

Hang in there, it will get better. Read the threads here and see what worked for other women, you WILL find a routine that works for you, it just takes a bit of time while you do that.

Have you tried Avocado oil? I'm using that to moisurise at the moment, you can get it from health shops and bigger supermarkets, its really soothing and not too expensive.

Good luck, we all support you...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.