menopause itching

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can anyone help had a abdominal hysterectomy 4 weeks and now am going through the Menopause.I am 49 and ive started itching day and night mostly at night.Has anyone experianced this.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi Julie 

yes .. It is a menopause symptom ..  

Itchy Skin

While most women are familiar with the common menopausal symptoms, such as hot flashes, many are unaware of menopausal effects on the skin.

Itchy skin is experience by many women during the menopausal transition.

Skin problems during menopause are closely linked with hormonal changes characteristic of this natural period of change.

Skin changes can begin as early as perimenopause, or the time leading up to the cessation of menstrual periods, which can range from 3 to 10 years. Other women may experience skin changes after menopause.

Jay xx

• Posted

Hormonal causes

itchy Skin ..

During menopause, the most common underlying cause of itchy skin is hormonal change.

As the body prepares for the cessation of menstruation and egg development during perimenopause, levels of estrogen in the body also fluctuate and eventually begin a steady decline.

Estrogen plays an important role in maintaining healthy skin.

For example, estrogen is responsible for stimulating the production of skin collagen, a fibrous protein that provides strength, resilience, and support to the skin and other tissues.

As estrogen production diminishes around the time of menopause, dry itchy skin becomes a very common symptom. The decline in skin thickness and collagen production appears to be most rapid in the years immediately preceding menopause.

Lowered estrogen levels also decrease the body's ability to retain moisture and slow down the body's production of natural skin oils, which also contributes to itchy skin. 

• Posted

Thanx for that information Jaynee do you no if theres anything i can take to stop it
  • Posted

Thanks for that Jay is there anything you can buy from the high streets.

• Posted

Hi Julie 

dont know what your Doctor has given you.. Whether your on any HRT etc.

if you dont take supplements think about them to protect bones etc .

Calcium & Vit D etc

also a good Vit B 6 is helpful as we lack B6 in menopause ..

i take 150mg B6 daily along with other supplements .

a good Mega B 100 complex ( containing 100mg B6 ) is very good 

( Holland & Barret) 

and Vit E 400iu for flushes and skin etc 

jay xx

• Posted

Everyone needs B-vitamins for good health.

Without them we can suffer from a variety of serious ailments.

For a woman going through perimenopause, Menopause  B-vitamins can be essential for effectively managing symptoms.   

Adrenal fatigue, for example, is a common secondary condition for many women going through perimenopause.

B-vitamins support healthy adrenal function, along with calming and maintaining a healthy nervous system.

Many women also suffer with mood swings during perimenopause. Both B12 and B6 vitamins aid in the production of neurotransmitters such as serotonin, a key brain chemical needed to stabilize moods and promote feelings of wellness and contentment.

For women who suffer with brain fog, and memory issues in perimenopause, low levels of B6 could be part of the problem.

Depression, confusion, and an inability to concentrate are all associated with B6 deficiency. Vertigo, dizziness, and heart palpitations are also common complaints from women going through perimenopause. All of these symptoms have been associated with (among other things) a B12 deficiency.

Vitamin B6 can also help with stubborn weight gain in perimenopause. It is key in the breakdown and utilization of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in our diet, and is necessary for a healthy metabolism - both which can help manage weight.

At least 100mg of B6 will help ..  ' Mega B 100 complex from Holland & Barret contains 100mg B6 as well as the other important B Vits .

Jarrows 5000mcg B12 ( cherry flavour) red label is the better B12 .

the higher the mcg in B12 the better 

• Posted

Am not on anything yet so i will have to try and put together my holland and barrette shopping list xx

• Posted

Hi Jay been to Holland and Barret today got some B6 and B12 and some Callcium tablets as well.So lets see hiw this goes.Thank you for your help.
    • Posted

Hi Julie 

B6 or a complex with 100mg of B6 well they will certainly help boost you up..

Calcium and Vit D help with bone health too..

i also take B6 and B12,,

Natecal ( chewable Calcium and Vit D3 ) in one 

Solgar Chelated Magnesium

Vit C 

Kelp for thyroid health

Vit E 

Menapol Plus x 2 daily ( natural menopause supplement) 

Rain forest food Maca 

Acidophilus mega 3 billion ( probiotic) 

take care hun

jay xx

• Posted

Hiya Julie,

yes I have had this too, it's just awful, not uncommon apparently with meno symptoms, but  pruritis also can be a sign of other things such as diabetes and hypothyroidism. I do think yours will be due to meno but blood tests can eliminate the possibility of it being the other things. I am so tired today and feeling unwell, I find it so hard to get going, it's ridiculous, can any woman really be prepared for this awful time in our lives, and yet not every female suffers the same. I always had bad PMT and so I am not surprised I have got the change so bad too...........................................................................................................

take car of yourself hun,

Mrs M wink

• Posted

Hi Mrs Merm 

Yeah it is horrible ive sratched myself that much over the passed few days that ive bled.Someone on here told me to try vit Bs so ive been to holland and barrette.So am going to try B6 and B12 and see how i get on.If no joy am going to the doctors.Thanks alot MrsMerm for answer my question.

• Posted

Julie,

I have experienced this as well. Never had a hysterectomy but out of the blue I had bad itching on my left side only. It was mainly on my thigh, no rash, no signs of why it was itchy. Just a creepy skin feeling that itched!

• Posted

I struggle terribly. C0conut oil helps to relieve a little. I also just got an intensive body moisturizer by Rosken called Intense boost and its amazing. Cool your showers down a little and if really bad, an antihistamine can help. I find its worse at night. Ive even used calomine lotion on some days. Im hoping it will pass soon

• Posted

Hi

i'm 48, had my hysterectomy at the beginning of September and although I don't have hot flushes or night sweats, I've got this itching which is driving me mad, also sleeplessness which is why I'm reading online forums at one in the morning! 

I'm not on HRT because of the risks of endometriosis returning. When I mentioned the itching to my GP she gave me anti histamine tablets and hydrocortisone cream both of which had no effect.

i eat a healthy diet and am swimming daily until I can return to work and Zumba but this makes no difference to the itch which is stronger at night and mainly around my belly and my belly can be numb and tingly as well if that makes any sense.

everything I've read says its a menopause symptom but not how to treat it effectively.  The best thing I've found so far is E45 cream kept in the fridge and this cools and soothes it long enough for me to get some sleep.

Any tips or advice gratefully received !

x n

• Posted

Hi thats what happens to me and ive started taking B6 and B12 and callcium tablet a day and it dosnt seem to be as bad.Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.