Menopause - Side Effects of a Hysterectomy .. useful info ..

Posted , 5 users are following.

What Are The Side Effects Of A Hysterectomy?

Quite a bit of research has been carried out into the effects of a hysterectomy procedure on a woman's body and general well-being.

As with so much of science, many of the results have been conflicting.

The Maine Women's Health Study is one important piece of research which has shed a better light on the subject.

Researchers investigated the long term effects on nearly 800 women who had undergone a hysterectomy between 1989 and 1991.

Overall it appears that the surgery improved a woman's quality of life, particularly if she underwent the procedure for less 'serious' problems like fibroids or endometriosis (as opposed to cancer).

It found that hysterectomies performed to correct severe pelvic pain and heavy periods left 71 percent of women feeling much happier (physically, mentally and sexually).

New problems that arose as a result of the hysterectomy (where the woman did not have the problem before the operation) included hot flashes (13 percent), weight gain (12 percent), depression (8 percent) and less interest in sexual intercourse (7 percent).

Hot Flashes

A hot flash is where you feel a sudden intense heat which starts in the neck and flows up to the face. Hot flashes usually last around 30 seconds and can be one of the first signs of menopause.

Women who have their ovaries removed immediately enter menopause (if the woman is still young, it is referred to as premature menopause).

They may be given short-term estrogen replacement therapy to help manage the problem.

Interestingly, for reasons unknown, women who have not had their ovaries removed can still have hot flashes.

Presumably this is because their hormone balance is upset.

Fortunately this is usually a temporary complication.

Weight Gain

Although a minority of women gain weight after a hysterectomy, it is thought this is less to do with the procedure and more to do with inactivity during the recovery period.

Weight gain is avoidable by following a healthy calorie controlled plan until you resume normal activity. See also our article weight gain during menopause.

Depression

While some women may feel depressed after a hysterectomy, there is no evidence to suggest that it is a physical or chemical response to the operation itself. It may rather be a psychological reaction to loss of fertility (in younger women) or a feeling of despondency if they did not participate enough in the decision to have the surgery (more common in non-elective hysterectomies which are performed as a medical emergency).

For most, research shows that a hysterectomy rarely causes long term depression.

In the initial post-operative period, women do much better if they have the support of their family and friends. You may find it useful to read about the side effects of depression, just in case.

Sexuality Issues

Physically, you should be able to return to having sex within 8 weeks of surgery (see hysterectomy recovery).

There have been lots of studies into women's sexual function and desire after a hysterectomy.

Older studies which used slightly different measuring methods estimated that 50 percent reported improved sexual function (usually because sex was painful before surgery), 25 percent reported no change and the remaining 25 percent said it was worse.

Newer studies estimate that only about 5 percent of women report worsening sexual problems.

The most common complaint is vaginal dryness (atrophy) - that is where the lining of the vagina becomes thinner and there is less lubrication so sex becomes more painful.

This can happen if the ovaries are removed and estrogen levels fall.

Other women report increased problems in becoming sexually aroused or in having orgasms.

The removal of the womb and cervix means that there is less tissue to become 'engorged' during sexual arousal.

Also as there is no womb, there no longer is a sensation of it expanding during an orgasm, which may make the orgasm less intense.

These changes are very apparent in some women but completely unnoticed in most.

The Alternatives: Surgery vs. Non-Surgery

The Maine Women's Health Study also investigated women who chose to manage their condition (fibroids, uterine bleeding or chronic pelvic pain) with non-surgical methods.

These alternatives to hysterectomy included hormone therapy, pain medications, endometrial ablation and uterine artery embolization.

25 percent went on to have a hysterectomy within one year of the study because their symptoms persevered or reappeared.

However, more studies are required before concluding whether surgery or non-surgical intervention is best.

These studies are notoriously difficult to carry out, and one recent large-scale attempt was abandoned because of difficulties in recruiting participants and in implementing the trial. 90 percent of hysterectomies are performed on women for non-cancer reasons, such as fibroids or uterine bleeding.

As most hysterectomy alternatives are considered safe, doctors are advised to completely exhaust these more conservative options before recommending surgery.

While this is considered best practice, unfortunately not all doctors do this.

One study by the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of California discovered that 76 percent of women who underwent a hysterectomy did not meet the standard guidelines for the procedure (as set down by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists).

The most common reasons cited why the operation was considered inappropriate were: (1) the doctor did not order enough tests to adequately diagnose the patient's condition before recommending a hysterectomy or (2) the doctor did not try enough alternative treatments.

Bottom Line: Given the potential side effects, as well as possible hysterectomy complications, it is important to educate yourself on all possible alternatives before agreeing to undergo a hysterectomy.

Question your doctor, and if you are not satisfied with the answers, seek a second or even third opinion if necessary.

At the end of the day, it is your body and you will be the one who has to live with the result.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Jay remind me what is it you do for a living?  You are so knowledgable....☺
  • Posted

Hi Jay do you think it would be ok to go onto an hrt patch that gives me a monthly period even though I haven't had a period for two years but on the patch I was on I had breakthrough bleeding like a light period, what would you do.?
    • Posted

Hi Louise 

wasnt that a side effect of the patch though.. at the start of use ..

your body adjusting to it, i am sure it said during the first three months that spotting may occur and was a normal side effect in the beginning.

remember its HRT (hormone replacement)  so your actually putting back the hormones that have naturally declined .. so it takes time to get back into system and will cause side effects for some in the early stage as its a shock to the body. needs time to adjust and get into a rythm.

jay x

• Posted

info from the product sheet 

side effect ..

menstrual problems including painful, heavy or long menstrual periods, bleeding or spotting between menstrual periods - some of these problems may happen within the first few months of starting treatment with Evorel Conti, if you do not replace your patch every three to four days or if you have a break between wearing patches. If this continues to happen once Evorel Conti has been used for some time or after Evorel Conti has been stopped you must seek medical advice

• Posted

Thanks Jay, now my doctor thinks I should go on a patch that gives me a monthly bleed but my gut says that's not right and the one I was on before was correct, what a nightmare, thanks for your advice though

louise x

• Posted

HiLouise

I can see why your cautious if your mind not sure, i am only one year post meno and i cannot imagine wanting periods again for myself😒 not after my 10 year peri ..

No way Jose for me 😊

But you must do whats right for you sweetie, cant he give you the same patch again, maybe he doesn't realise the side effect for first few months.. Not all GPs are clued up..

take it its a GP not a Gyno 

Jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay well my dr has put me back in the patch, mainly because I haven't had periods for two years, apparently the progesterone in the patch is supposed to stop the womb lining from getting too thick, now I'm wondering whether I should be on it at all

• Posted

Hi Louise 

how are you sweetie ..

has he put you back on the same patch you were taken off .. evorel conti 

or the everol sequel one now ..

only you can  decide hun..

at least a patch is transdermal and not tablets that goes through the liver .

and its not the pregnant mares Urine type of HRT. ( premarin, premique or prempak c) 

to me personally i think the patch it the better choice .. if you want HRT.

but each to their own.. 

how have you been not using the patch 

Jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay yes the dr has put me on the same one evoril conte, I have felt ok off of it, but I don't think I have been off of it long enough to feel anything different, ive just been looking at someone else on this site, she says she takes vitamin B6, vitamin D and osteocare and that in 3 months she noticed a difference, maybe that's what I need, I'm so confused Jay it's ridiculous 
    • Posted

Louise

it has been me for months saying how good B6 is .. ( 100mg ) 

i take 150mg B6 each morning .. ( i am post meno) 

i dont take osteocare ..

i take Menapol plus x 2 daily..

B6 i have posted loads on each meno topics of how it helps in meno..

and B12 ..

Calcium and Vit D is a must for bone health ..

Solgar Chelated Magnesium. ( not oxide or citrate) 

Vit E

Maca ( rain forest food) 5.2 is really good inhave taken this for 12 years 

i take several supps .. after a ten year natural peri .. now post meno.

age 50 i am now ..

with HRT you shouldnt need all these supplements like you do with a natural menopause as thats why HRT given to women who cant cooe with the symptoms and replace hormones..

what you have to consider is taking HRT boosts hormones and stops peri menopause feelings .. but when you stop taking it, you go through menopause again . but at an older age, as the same things happens that naturally wants to in peri menopause ... ( hormones decline again) 

B6 for me got rid of my anxiety .. etc etc boosted energy 

and B12 boosts energy..

i have posted plenty of info about it ..

only you can decide about the patch louise .. 

weigh up the pros and cons and do what is right for you

jay xx

• Posted

Hello there. I had a hysterectomy with ovarian preservation 3 weeks ago, and I have to say I feel like CRAP! I realize that only 3 weeks post surgery I'll still be a bit sore but the pain and issues that I'm having are starting to feel excessive . I have googled everything I could think of to try to get some answers but I'm not getting anywhere with that. I'm in a constant state of hot flashes, always nauseated , very very cramped and intently emotional. What the heck is going on ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.