Menopause symptoms?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I'm 49 and had been on the pill, with no periods, for over 10 years. Prior to that my periods were very regular and quite painful but not heavy. Since coming off the pill 8 months ago I waited about 5 weeks for my first period, then a 2nd one and third one quite regular but have now been without a period for 8 weeks or so. So 3 periods in 8/9 months. However I have been getting lower back pain, pains in my thighs and mild feelings in my groinl; that feeling of 'about to start' nearly every day. In fact one day I was convinced as the pains had ratched up a few notches (but nothing like a real period) only to be bemused when nothing happened. The only thing missing is the pre-period headaches.

Is this normal? Or could it be something more sinister?

I am having early mammograms due to a history of breast cancer in my family on one side but on the other side where I only have a small family of female relatives two relatives have had cancer of the womb however I am told that there is nothing to be concerned about on this side.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think you are starting peri menopause welcome to the club. Just watch out for more signs like night sweats, anxieties, not sleeping to good, depression and a lot of mood swings. 

Nothing sinister is going on and its your body letting you know its changing 

Don't worry to where you have anxieties thats not good. 

Also go talk to OBGYN about your period issues

Good luck and hang in there

• Posted

Thanks Susan for your reassurance. I went onto this site and checked out the long list of menopausal symptoms but didn't see anything related to period pains without the periods! But many, many other symptoms which I am now realising could be the peri menopause rather than me just 'getting old'!

This is all quite new to me after not having a period since my early thirties due to the pill. I know my mum didn't come off HRT till her early 70s after being finally convinced to by her (male) GP. She said she was sick of his constant badgering and gave in for an easy life! Perhaps if that male GP was in her shoes he wouldn't have been so insistent smile

• Posted

I  like female doctors they understand more about woman stuff than male doctors do

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.