Menorrhagia and Endometrial Ablation?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I'm 34, have SUFFERED from extremely painful periods for 20 years now. In 2014 I had bleeding for 7mths straight and have had sooooo many tests done but no definitive answers. Every few months someone throws around PCOS or Endometriosis however in 2009 the laproscopy came back clear for endo. We've tried everything to manage the pain, depo stopped the bleeding but not the pain and my body has painfully rejected the mirena twice in 6 years (weeks after insertion) so the gyne has recommended an Endometrial Ablation. He's given me 4 weeks to think about it and a pamphlet on the procedure. When I read the pamphlet it clearly states that this procedure is not recommended for people with severe period pain or chronic pelvic pain to which I have both and from everything I've been reading, this procedure will make pain worse! I've been told since I am only 34 that a hysterectomy is not an option yet as I haven't had children but the Endometrial Ablation means I can't have kids anyway so I'm really confused...... Any ideas?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

im 27 and I'm basically having the same problem periods so heavy I'm leaking and have to use the old fashioned type pads and changing constantly but with huge clots that it feels like I'm constipated 😞 I've been seeing my gynae for 8+years not w and had enough as all they were doing were sending me round in circles by giving me these options : 

burning the lining of the womb

removing my womb

or a hysterectomy but they don't really want me to have any of this as I'm so young.

ive had enough and asked for a second opinion as over the last 2 years I've had emergency operations with batholiths cysts and between the pain from that moment periods are so much worse and I'm in so much pain with it all now aswel

ive been tested for endometriosis and its come back inconclusive and when I ask what does that mean I was told they were not sure but I'm now seeing a new dr 3/3/16 and hopefully something is done as I'm talking the transamic acid Mefamic acid tried all the pills the coils plus God knows how many other tablets and injections 

• Posted

Good luck Hazel, I've been begging for a hysterectomy since my early twenties but they won't consider it until all other options are exhausted. I'm exhausted lol! Did the transamic acid have any effect for you? I didn't find they helped at all with the pain levels and have resorted to self medicating with ibuprofen with codeine and paracetamol with codeine to just take the edge off the pain but nothing helps!!!!
  • Posted

Hi PrincessPet,

I too suffer from gynelogical problems. I have cysts on my ovaries, fibroids, and PMDD. One thing I would caution against which my mother; an RN informed me of and sent me an artical. Be careful what type of a hysterectomy you are going to have. Woman who have fibroids or any type of growth that could contain cancer cells can be cut open by mistake during surgery. Then the cancer spreads. And guess what? Now you have cancer and you have another battle on your hands. There are many different types of Hysterectomy's so choose the safest option for you. If your doctor is favoring one and you do your research and don't feel comfortable with it...ask for another gynecologist. It's worth saving your life.

• Posted

I've seen 10 different gynecologists in the last 12mths, I'm being treated through the Australian Public Health system so each appt I see someone else and have to explain everything all over again. Most just throw pills at me and make another appt in 6 weeks! On top of all the pain and bleeding, they have found a growth on my cervix which is not cancerous yet but they don't seem to know what to do with all of the issues! I'm keen on a full hysterectomy but have been told that even if they do the hysterectomy they'll leave the ovaries in even though I am pretty sure my ovaries are the source of my pain.......
  • Posted

I have the same problems, in that i bleed heavily each month, with huge clots and the pain is unbearable.  I have been seeing my gynae for 1 year now and she is very kind.  She tried the pill but this made me bleed all of the time.  I had a D&C in October and everything was fantastic until the December.  Scanned again and the lining had grown back thicker than it had been prior to surgery.  I am now on Progesterone, 200mg, for 10 days,  It has stopped the bleeding from being so heavy but the pain is awful.

If progesterone is the solution for me, I just wonder how long I am allowed to take it?

I am only 36 so don't want to be taking it until I go through menepause!

I was wondering about asking for an endometrial ablation but have heard it may only be effective for a year or so!

So frustrating!

• Posted

hi their i have the endometrial ablation it lasted about 2 years i have had 4 children all large babies biggest 9lb 10. I have tried all pills and coils now it worse .I spent all weekend unable to leave the house useing supper tampons and night time towels feeling drained having to change nearly every hour and during the night. Doctor gave me TRANEXAMIC ACID  and Norethisterone 5mg to stop the bleeding the T.A gives me upset stomache so not good. It seems there is a lot of women out there with this kind of problem but little help or advice. Ive found sometimes voltrol a pain killer help reduse bleeding as i normally suffer migraines i get this from doctor worth a try maybe good luck .Im waiting for gyne appointment.will keep posting.
  • Posted

I'm kind of finally getting somewhere I've spoken to a new dr (so far so good) he's decided we're not doing any more tablets as if it didn't work first time it's not going to now but I also found that when they tested me for endometriosis it wasn't done properly so guess what I've got to have end of May but downfall is whilst I'm under Im having a coil fitted yet again I'm so worried about this it's scaring me more than the op as it was soooo painful the last two times I've had it yet at the moment no pain killers are helping other than mst (morphine based) and it's a nightmare as the pain is getting so much more and when I take transamic acid (meant to reduce bleeding) it's now making it worse sad but must think positive and hopefully coil may help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.