Menstrual Cycle

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 55 yrs old, I have been on my period since I was 17 yrs old and it has always been heavy, the doctor says I have fibroids and a cyst on my right ovary, they are going to do a biopsy to make sure everthing is ok, for now he put me on birth control, I missed two months Feb and March and now since April I have been on my period for three weeks light then heavy then light, when will this end?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had the same thing. It was awful. Your bleeding will stop when you have the fibroids removed. But the worst thing you can do is be on birth control. Unless it's progestrone only. The extra estrogen in birth control will make the fibroids grow and the bleeding worse. Good luck. Keep us posted.
    • Posted

Thank you, I dont want to have surgery, guess I have to wait till menopause. Cant afford to take off work
    • Posted

I felt the same way. I was terrified of surgery. But it only took 45 min and it was a snap.
    • Posted

Hi, is it an option to have fibroids removed and keep womb, this sounds interesting. How is it done please?
    • Posted

Oh yes I still have all my lady parts 😀

They go through the vagina into the uterus. And take it out. Then they do a d&c to get rid of any excess lining. You then resume regular way more normal periods.

• Posted

Thanks I'll definitely enquire with my GP about that. I keep thinking my periods will stop soon, but I've been thinking that for soooo long now. It's time I did something to help myself.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 57, periods since 15.  I have a 2cm fibroid and multiple small. Heavy red bleeding and lose clots for 2/3 days every four week. Causes anaemia and fatigue for days after. Considering hysterectomy but scared of length of recovery time after. And then the dreaded menopause! Confused. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.