Menta health issues post Perthes?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was treated for Perthes at the age of 2 in 1967. Treatment consisted of being strapped to a board for 3 months in hospital, being restrained from the chest down i was only able to move head and arms, upon discharge from hospital i was in calipers for some time. My Mother was allowed to visit only 30 minutes per day.,

Now 50 I've had a very active life and played sport and kept fit through out, to be fair i've abused my body and have never suffered hip problems, however I have had lower back problems from time to time.

I suffered psycholigical problems almost straight away after being admitted to hospital, apparently i wouldnt look at my mother for the duration of the hospital stay and then wouldnt leave her side until i started school at 5, up until this age i would not go to sleep. I have subsequently struggled through out my life with forming and maintaining relationships and various other emotional problems.

I'm not trying to pin my issues on my treatment but such treatment these days would without doubt not happen, just wondering has any one else had any similar problems?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Martyn37, You have a very interesting story. You are correct I think that today, your treatment would have been different.  The good news is that you seem to have received the treatment you needed. Perhaps your lower back problems are from the LCPD.  I think it is. I had a full body cast from my upperchest to my toes.  We went to the Childrens Hospital about every couple of weeks for adjustments of the cast. I have some pretty unpleasent memories of a few visits. I was not able to be active like you, my dream was to be a dancer which is how the LCPD was discovered when I was about 6.  I am thinking that you suffered feelings of abondenment. It sounds like it has invaded your life and your relationships. Have you ever thought about or wrote down how you feel about your relationships, how you feel when they end, if you care if they end? You are dealing with something very important to look into and figure out.  It will not be easy. I try to write down my feelings, when you see them on paper it is different then just thinking about them.  I wish you luck in trying to figure this out. My LCPD has given me plenty of issues but sorry they are different than yours.  I wish you the best, and good luck, don't give up...I know you can figure it out you sound very intellegent.
  • Posted

Hello,

Regarding your mental health issues.

My son has had LCPD, now I feel he has Aspergers. I am trying to connect the two.

​You mentioned trouble forming and maintaining relationships. Do you also have problems with social situations, a shy, loner type personality?  Please check out the

​Asperger symptoms. Aspergers is now considered to be on the high end of Austic  Spectrum. Aspergers affects people socially, and people of normal to very, very, very, high intelligence. It may be that if you have Aspergers, you could get

​funds for help.  

• Posted

My brother had perthes in the 1950s and had similar treatment to you and in hospital for one year.  He is fine but it was pretty barbaric to take a child away from home for so long.  When I was working in the NHS in the 1980s and 1990s the perthes patients I met were not hospitalised.
    • Posted

Hi Moira13817, I agree with you it is horrible to take a child away from home.  I know that what a child views through child eyes is scary for both a child and adult.  I had to be taken to the clinic about every 2 weeks. I was able to stay at home.  It was scary for me. I saw things I still cant forget. I only remembered after I read your post.  I guess my mind tried to not remember. It was a long day each visit perhaps 6 or more hours.  I was tired, hungry, and scared.  It really does take a toll on a child. I am sorry for what your brother had to go through. but I am happy that he has a loving sister like you. good luck on your futurebiggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.