Mercaptopurine, Has anyone been on this chemo medicine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I go to my GI in November and he wants me to get an enzyme test  tpmt to see how many side effects I will get and how bad they will be. I am really scared of this medication. I know this is a 6MP Mercaptopurine and a chemo one for people with cancer. I am out of surgery going on 7 months and have inflammation and a narrowing already. Will this medication put me in remission. How can this put  me in remission when I  already have this back again. I know Crohn's never go away. I am currently on Pentasa the crohn's is in the small bowel. I have had 1 exploratory, and 3 resections. Been in the hospital for dehydration, malnutrition so bad that they had to put more than one iv into my chest above my lung. That was so painful when they had to cut 4 small incisions, while a rolled up towel between  my shoulder blades. Then fed me with food for 17 days.  Can anyone tell me how they go day by day with this chemo med?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

firstly roseofsharon as you know everybody has different tolerances to medication and what suits one may not be tolerated by another. Therefore it's impossible for anyone to say how you will get on with 6MP.

It may well be an anti cancer medication but it also works well with many people who suffer with Crohn's.

I was on azathioprine for several weeks but could not tolerate it long term. So far I've been on 6MP for 3 weeks and had no serious side effects.

I wish you well

Pete

• Posted

hi roseofsharon

i havent been on this, but take methotraxate which i beleive is used for cancers, i have side affects which most drugs do, but like many fello chrons suffers, we have to put up with side affects, to help the disease,

i get very tired after my metho, and feel continuasly sick, which i take folid acid for everyday, i get mouth ulcers, and my tongue feels although it has glass in it, i suffer from aching joints as well, but it keeps the chrons at bay, i just think chrons is a horrid disease and not much is known or spoke about it, people just say oh yea you got chrons, without understanding the pain and suffering that most of us put up with every day.

hope you find a solution

• Posted

Hi Kim,

Thank you for responding and i hope your symptoms get better for you.

• Posted

Hi, I've recently started Mercaptopurine 2 weeks ago as i could not tolerate azathioprine. In my second week now and have diarrhoea on and off dependant on what i eat. Im almost scared of eating anything. Today has been the worst, after having a jacket potato at lunch I've been in and out of the loo all day and its now 7pm. Bad stomach cramping, and fatigue too. Im hoping this will all calm down soon or rather not go on for much longer! The only thing that really works is steriods but i cant be on those forever!!!

I hope thats some help Roseofsharon.

• Posted

Hi Sha,

Thank you for response. I would like to know if your GI had tested you for TPMT blood test. I am waiting for my results and the Lab said they only do it on Monday and Thursday. They said this test is not done often. I know there are those of this site who have had this test to see if side effects will be nothing, not so bad or very bad. It depents on the level of this enzyme.test. Right now I am on Pentasa and it doesn't seem to be doing much. I have read up on this med. and other ones and the side effects are horrible.

I have had 3 resections and the latest one was March of 15. August had a CT scan and showed inflammation and a narrowin in the same area of the small bowel. Crohn's only in the small bowel.Diarrhoea  on and off, pain on right side and above the bellybutton. This is why my GI wants to put me on Mercaptopurine. Hope you get relief from side effects soon.

• Posted

Hi Roseofsharon, no I've not been tested for TPMT but I called the IBD nurse and I've got a appointment tomorrow as my diarrhoea is getting worse. However she put my steroids up to 4 a day and actually what julia24711 says makes sense as after I take the steroids the diarrhoea seems to calm down. Hopefully this is why I'm getting this rather than something more sinister. 

Its unfortunate that the Dr I saw was not my usual consultant and actually should've known to increase the steroids!!! 

Also im taking the MP6 at night as someone suggested it on a chat forum, not sure if this is causing the diarrhoea?! 

• Posted

Hi Roseofsharon,

I was on MP6 for 5 years.  Inicially it should be prescribed along side a course of steroids to build your body up.  I struggled with the drug for many years but (Thanks to my Brother who was taking Azathiaprine) found that if I drank 1-2 pints of water or week squash first thing in the morning and ate something substantial by 10am then took my pill my body accepted it alot better.  Dont let yourself get dehydrated!  It's funny as it has been suspended due to suspected fibro and suspected potts neuropothy  but I still eat my dinner in the morning. Hope that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.