metatarsalgia

Posted , 4 users are following.

[i:c3d4dbad1c]I suffer from metatarsalgia and the biggest problem for me is that I love walking, it's my hobby. It lifts my mood and makes me happy. I love fresh air and I love being in the hills. Now I am restricted to how far I can go and for days after walking I'm in pain. My consutant has suggested surgery but I don't know if that will make me better or not. The success rate is apparently 85% but does that mean that I can really enjoy walking in the hills again, eventually, as I was told that recovery time will be 10 months. Sombody help me please.[/i:c3d4dbad1c]

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I understand exactly how you feel, Blue2, because I'm in a similar situation, frustrated and in fact downright desperate because I can't get out and do the one activity I love more than anything else. I moved to the countryside to be able to walk more, but two days after moving went down with a virus that apparently triggered rheumatoid arthritis, and now have such painful metatarsalgia I can only rarely get out and enjoy the hills and woods around me. Walking on grass is much easier than on hard surfaces, but can only go a short way before having to turn back. So far the only help offered (apart from the usual RA drugs, which have helped control the condition but not touched the foot pain) has been a pair of insoles, which have made no difference at all, in fact made it worse. Like you walking always has lifted my mood and I miss it terribly. Am turning into a unfit grump, and when I think of all the fit pain free people I know who don't walk, it just seems hideously unfair on us. Hope you find some relief - I know I'd try pretty much anything to be able to get my boots on again and go for a good long hike.
  • Posted

Just wondering if you peeps have any more info re your experience with metatarsalgia?
  • Posted

Have you tried metatasil domes or pads? Surgery is really a last resort because of the risks.  
  • Posted

Hi, 

im a matatarsalgia sufferer also, and a runner too! 

I wear orthotic insoles, and gel pads under the balls of my feet! The pain is still there, but but not as severe. 

I have just started seeing a podiatrist, and she seems to think with custom made insoles in will be able to run / with very little pain at all.

Have you thought of a podiatrist?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.