Metformin and B12 deficiency

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 70 and  have had diabetes for 21 years.  Almost from the time of diagnosis I was prescribed Metformin as well as eventually going onto two types of insulin.   Over the years I had been feeling tired, lethargis, no appetite which I just put down to old age. I have never been overweight, being 9 stone when I was diagnosed but  over the last three years I have lost weight as my appetite was very bad.  At one time I was 67 kgs and now I am 57kg.   I saw a doctor and had some blood tests done and I am "borderline B12 deficient".   I have found out that Metformin is given to overweight women as it is an appetite supressant, something I hardly needed!  Metformin is one of the main causes of B12 deficiency.   Those side effects they talk about on the information leaflet that comes with the tablets doesn't actually mention B12 but gives a lot of the side effects, one of them being tinnitus, something I've had for years.  Vegans and Vegetarians can get B12 deficiency as you get it from animal products but  obviously from drugs as well.   

A week or so ago I took it upon myself to stop the Metformin and instantly my appetite came back, I actually felt hunger pangs for the first time in years!  I have had to increase my insulin slightly to keep my sugar levels down but  just being able to eat more makes me feel better.

Today I am starting a course of B12 injections, one every other day, five doses in all and hope that this helps with the deficiency symptoms. Another case of having to take one drug to counteract the effects of another drug. If anyone is on Metformin it may pay them to look up Metformin and B12 and see if anything they are experiencing could be caused by taking it. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

OMG! Thanks, Spindles, for posting! My mother just started on metformin, and she has much of the same symptoms. 

I'll try to get her some injections, but will also give her a coblimated B supplement, because many people with B deficiency don't process Bs and need the coblimated.

• Posted

I had my first B12 injection today.   My B12 which should have been in the range 180-1000 was 152, although the doctor called it "borderline".   As I had been having symptoms I was started on the injections.  A friend of mine has diabetes and had been on Metformin and went to the doctor because her hands were swollen.  As she had only returned from Australia the week before she was given an urgent appointment.  Blood samples were taken and she was told that her B12 was low and that she had to have injections and she hadn't been showing any symptoms at all so there may be lots of people who are B12 deficient and don't know it but it can be quite a serious thing to have if it goes too low.
  • Posted

I have to take B vitimains daily or I am exhausted. Learned that on my own too, as with most things about my Diabetes. These forums are pretty helpful, whish I had them when I was diagnosed 18 years ago. 

Hope you are feeling a bit better.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.