Methotrexate

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was diagnosed with psoratic arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. I have damage in one toe and in my neck and spine. I have been taking methotraxte for almost 2 months now. I did read alittle on that medication but I had to stop reading on it or I would not have started taking it. The pain has subsided for now. I have more energy. Can anyone tell me about their experience with methotraxte?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Five months ago I started on methotrexate tabletsAs dose increased side effects got worseAt25mg/week had to stopNow on 25mg /week by injection with after 6weeks (touch wood )no side effects
  • Posted

Hi, sorry to hear you are worried about taking mthx, i have been injecting for nearly 2 years now 20mg a time, i also take Folic acid every day except injection day (to prevent side effects), i did experience a lot of mouth ulcers at the beging ing but haven't had one for a long time....... I also inject monthly a biologic drug to top up the mthx.. and i feel great i get the odd flare up but not very often, i have been well althrough this awful wet weather and i live on a farm and have horses so am outside most of the day.

I have PsA and oesteo and before i took these drugs i was a very swollen bumbling crying wreck, there is NO way i would stop taking them......I hope this helps feel free to ask any questions. x

• Posted

Yes that does help alot. Thank you. I also take folic acid. It's encouraging to know that life can get back to being some what normal.
  • Posted

Hi Wendy

My partner was taking Mtx without any problem for about 2 years for his psioratic arthritis (you probably have been told Mtx suppresses your immune system). Over the past year he has had many infections - the worst of which was a severe bladder infection.  He has been on and off antibiotics for months.  Something he was unaware of was that too many antibiotics interfere with the body's ability to secrete the Mtx, resulting in a build up in his body, making him very ill with his whole mouth infected with ulcers and an infected tooth.  At the moment he is not on anything for his arthritis but if it flares up he will have to investigate an alternative to Mtx.

Sorry to sound so negative as I'm sure his experience is not the norm but it is worth knowing about the increased risk of infections and the effect that too many antibiotics can have.

I hope you have better luck than he has had.

Best wishes

Shani

• Posted

You've done well to achieve some relief within 3 months of starting the MTX.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Oh don't get me wrong I still have my days but compared to what it used to be I do have some relief.
    • Posted

I'm delighted to hear it!  Are you also using rosehip (GOPO litozin) - there is NHS evidence that it is effective as an antiinflammatory!
  • Posted

Hi Wendy 

i have also been on MTX for about 8 months now, i am one of the lucky one who has had no side effects. It does seem to work for me i am not having as much pain as i did before i started taking it. I mainly have pain early morning and late evening until i take my meds. my finger joints constantly hurt but not normally to the extent that i cant use them. 

• Posted

Hi Robert.

I've recently been diagnosed and have been prescribed methotrexate.

I'm 6 weeks in now but have seen little change so was wondering when you first started noticing a change?

John.

• Posted

Hi John took me about 7/8 weeks before i noticed any change at all. I have been on them about 9 months i think they have made a change but i still get pain but not as much as i used to. Just make sure you have regular blood tests as the side effects can be nasty. I now have a monthly blood test.
  • Posted

I started taking it about a year ago along with steroids for psoriatic arthritis and have had no side effects to date .. It does lower your immune system so where I never got colds I do now!! Also it's been great being able to play with my 5 & 3 yr old now with not so much pain smile 
    • Posted

Hi yes I get them have had my flu jab couple months ago but still get colds.. Just getting over a bad head cold 
    • Posted

Sadly this horrible condition is not the kindest and the medication is not great either, the side effects can be as bad as the Arthritis, but because there are so many different drugs that can control it, its just a case of trial and error finding the right combination for you. the time it takes for some of the medications to work is also a pain especially if they dont work for you. My other concern is whats next once our bodies get used to the drugs, stronger and more harmful drugs and the trial and error starts again. sadly it will never go away. its a case of coping with it as best as possible. But knowing im not the only one feeling crap most of the time and others understand. I am lucky as my wife is very supportive.
    • Posted

Yes that's what I have been thinking .. And with all this damp weather my joints are getting more painful.. But is it the weather or do I need more drugs!!! I have a very understanding partner too he is a paramedic so that helps!! 
    • Posted

it could be either of both i take Tramadol and co codomol for the pain i also take Sulfasalazine with MTX 
    • Posted

I take concodomal too can't take tramadol.. Wipes me out .. Not good with having to look after my little ones! 
    • Posted

it hardly touches me although i had to reduce the amount i was taking due to it causing memory loss.i aso changed to having them in the morning rather than evening  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.