Methotrexate and metronidazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello everyone.

does anyone have experience of having to take metronidazole ( antibiotic) whilst on methotrexate? My mum has just been increased to 20mg MXT and remains presently on 2.5mg alternate days of prednisolone. She has been prescribe drugs up the dentist, metronidazole, for a sore gum which may be infected. She has to take them and go back in 10 days time. The dentist and pharmacist said it was ok to take the metronidazole whilst on MXT but just to be sure, I checked with the rheumatoid nurse who says absolutely not to take MXT whilst on the antibiotics. I'm now worried about which is the right advice but also, if mum has to miss a dose of MXT, that she may have a bad flare up again. So grateful for any experiences others can share on this one.

paula.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

This is from a site called rheuminfo

"What should I avoid while taking Methotrexate?

Use alcohol in moderation (1 drink per week or less).

Do not get pregnant.

Do not take antibiotics containing sulfa (Bactrim or Septra)."

That suggests that other abx are OK so your pharmacist was right in that sense.

However, what happens is there is an issue of toxicity of the methotrexate as antibiotics tend to prevent the complete break down of MTX.  If MTX can’t be broken down appropriately, higher amounts may be found in the body and that can lead to increased side-effects. 

Is she due her MTX dose soon or was it just a day or so ago? That would mean she'd be able to take her next dose just a bit late. Or could she up her dose of pred for the 10 days? That is what many of us who use pred do and that should also deal with the risk of a flare I think.

Perhaps calling your local hospital pharmacy might elicit a more informed reply than the local chemist gave?

• Posted

PS  In case you haven't seen it, I'm sending you link for a methotrexate leaflet from the NHS which also mentions just the 2 specific antibiotics
    • Posted

Thanks ever so Eileen. 

Mum started the antibiotics yesterday and is due her MXT today. By the time of the next MXT dose, she will just have finished the antibiotics so that should be ok. Thanks for the 

leaflet too.

best wishes.

paula.

• Posted

So she'll just miss the one? That shouldn't lead to a flare. Hope it all works out OK and the abcess heals.
    • Posted

Yes, just the one Eileen so fingers crossed!

thanks again.

paula.

• Posted

Hi Paula as you know mtx is an auto immune suppressant so when your mum's rhuemy

Nurse said do not take mtx along with the anti biotic I think what she was really

Saying if your mum takes the two meds together it will take longer to clear

Up the infection in her mouth so ideally to miss one dose of mtx will not unless

Incredibly unlucky cause a flare up what she means is to miss a dose of mtx

Will just give her body a bit of a boost to clear up infection however at the

End of the day it's up to your mum and how she feels about it either way it won't

Cause any dire effects and all that's likely to happen by staying on mtx is

That she will need a repeat script for anti biotics to clear infection I should

No have had R.A for 10 years and learnt all this through trial and error

I hope this helps

Regards

Ann

• Posted

Hello Ann and many thanks to you for replying and sharing experiences. What you have said makes sense to me. We have missed yesterday's dose and hopefully all will be well. I've been looking after mum recently but have to go back to work Monday week so hope no flare ups for her as its hard for her when I have to leave her on her own during the day.

hope all is well with you.

paula.

• Posted

Hi Paula glad to have been of help anything else I can give advise to just give

Me a shout iv been taking mtx now 20m for ten yrs now unfortunately its been

Giving me a lot of side effects which I can't cope with the injections made

Me very sick so I'm just on steroids to control ( try) the pain and I'm waiting

To hear from hospital to see what else they are going to give me but the

Overwhelming tiredness I get is unbearable its like hitting a brick wall but I'm

Sure your mum's told you that anyway I'm glad I could be of help

Regards

Ann

• Posted

I do hope that the hospital can find something to help with your pain Ann, that doesn't give you side effect problems. I can only sense how bad RA pain is from my own mums face when it's a particularly bad day and she is not one to complain. As for tiredness, yes indeed, my mum sleeps almost as much as my father did and he had renal failure and was on dialysis years ago before he passed away. I'm sure if I didn't wake my mum she would be asleep in the chair most of the time!

take care and thanks once again.

paula

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.