Methotrexate and stomach aches

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been taking 20 mg of Methotrexate weekly for the past couple months but I break it up by 10 mg twice a day on Sunday's. I always find that I have horrible stomach aches the next day and I'm extremely tired. I take the methotrexate with food but I've been pretty inconsistent with taking the folic acid I was told to take daily. Does this happen to anyone else?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Madi, I think you should go back to your prescribing doctor & discuss this with him & make certain you understand what you are being told & adhere to the doctor's instructions.

People have died by not taking Methotrexate in the way they have been told.

The Folic acid is very important.  Some doctors tell you to take it daily & others to take it just once a week.

Go and see your Doctor again.  Good luck.

• Posted

I was told to take mtx 3 pills in morning and 3 pills in evening on same day once a week. Folic acid I am to take daily. Doctor sad taking this way helps with nausea, hair loss and stomach pain. I only have taken it once so far so I can't tell how it will be in the long run. I think your doctor is the best person to consult on this. I also have heard that injections are better tolerated if you have gastro problems with the pills. Good luck and post what you find out. The information I am getting on this site has been so helpful and comforting. 

• Posted

You poor thing. The stomach aches are awful. I do agree with the other comments taking the folic acid is so important because it helps with all the side effects. Also it has to be folic acid prescribed by the doctor (not over the counter....there's a different chemical make up) As for splitting the pills I have heard of people doing this but again this is a highly toxic drug not to be played about with. Always take as prescribed and if you want to split them or make any changes ALWAYS speak with your Rheumy and not your doctor to clarify.

As for the stomach aches I get them to a degree but am on Lanzoprazole which is a stomach protector for harsh medications. The doctor can prescribe this and I also find a glass of milk helps... I have no idea why! Also a hot bath.

Reading the comments you must feel like you've been told off!! It's because people care and the doctors do not stress enough the potency of this medication. Taken properly with the folic acid it can be a miracle drug. Good luck and be good to yourself. It's a tough time. Make sure you get lots of resist and treat yourself often

Regards

Lisa

????

• Posted

Hi Madi

Am so sorry I deleted my comment when I realised that it's taken for different things and was just thinking of what I take it for, I tried to amend it but it wouldn't let me, so I asked them to delete it for me, I certainly wasn't telling you off at all, I sure know how horrible it is when you get the stomach aches because that happened to me when one week I forgot to take my Folic Acid before, so I really hope you are able to get it sorted and start to feel better real soon x

• Posted

Oh Carol,

I hope you didn't take my comment personally. It certainly wasn't meant that way. I was just generally reading through the comments before I responded and we were all, quite naturally panicking for Madi (hi Madi, I hope you are doing ok) and the doctors don't give enough info (we all know that!) and people were being very caring but of course we were all 'you can't muck about with this med' which is quite right. I was just putting myself in Madi's shoes and thinking (I'm a sensitive old soul) if I was new in here and got lots of messages because people were worried I may feel that I've made a big error and people were 'telling me off' rather than realising it is real concern when I comes to MTX. I certainly didn't mean anything personal to anybody and hope I haven't offended you because that certainly wasn't my intention. Regards

Lisa ??

• Posted

Awww bless you Lisa, I didn't no, it just made me realise that it maybe wasn't for the same as I am taking it for and I panicked a bit so thought I'd better ask the moderators to delete it for me as didn't want to give someone the wrong information, and you certainly didn't offend me at all, but bless your heart for your lovely reply

Regards

Carol

x lol

• Posted

Dear Carol

Oh I'm so pleased I didn't ?? Thank you for taking the time out to let me know...... Bless your heart too!! Hope you are having a happy day ????

Lisa

X

• Posted

I sure am Lisa, well as good as you can at work lol, hope you are too smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.