Methotrexate for lupus

Posted , 3 users are following.

I haven't seen any posts from lupus patients taking methotrexate. My mom is about to start it and the side effects scare me. Especially since she is a smoker and a daily cocktailer. There are quite a few people who say alcohol in moderation is ok but she's 66 not 25. I guess the question is are the side effects about the same for lupus patients as seen here for RA and Psoriasis?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey

I took methotrexate for lupus last year along with plaquenil ( hydroychloroquine). I started on tablets and they didn't agree with me, so I went on the metoject injections. MTX is a cytotoxic, so it is a scary drug. You do need to make sure your mum takes the folic acid as prescribed, if I forgot to take it, I felt worse, so that is a must!

The problem with alcohol is that the liver metabolises the alcohol as well as the MTX and anything else in your blood ( fatty foods etc) to process it. If the liver can't cope, the stuff remains in the system and liver poisoning / damage can be a result. As lupus can attack major organs as well as skin and joints, you just need to be careful, but that is why you have to have bloods done regularly, as this can pick up any problems. I am in my 40s,  I don't smoke but I did enjoy my weekends, for the whole time I was on MTX, my liver and kidneys were ok. It didn't work much for my lupus though, the side effects on my digestive system were terrible. It caused diarrhoea and vomiting, so that made me feel awful, despite the anti sickness pills they gave me. It basically wore me out! The hair loss wasn't so good either, and because it can affect your immune system, I did get a few nasty infections as well.  I am trying azathioprine now, but I have heard that some people do very well on MTX and it did make a difference to my joint pains for a short period. It is whatever works for the individual. I hope it works for your mum, good luck with it. Cheers

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. I hope you continue to improve on your new med.
  • Posted

Hi, I took MTX for a different disease & I went off alcohol completely.  I also went off certain food, so your Mom may not have a problem from that point of view.  She will have her bloods checked often to begin with,

And, the folic acid is important.

• Posted

Thank you. I will let her know anout the folic acid.
  • Posted

https://patient.info/medicine/methotrexate-maxtrex-metoject

It is worth reading the info leaflet yourself, so that you can remind your Mom about the things she needs to be aware of.

This drug is only taken once a week & the folic acid may be taken once a week but not on MTX day, or some doctors tell you to take it on 5 of the other 6 days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.