Methotrexate injection pains

Posted , 4 users are following.

After suffering lots of side effects on oral methotrexate, the hospital put me onto metoject. I have been using these for 3 weeks and am finding I get a lot of pain in the surrounding area for about an hour afterward. Has any one got any tips on how to reduce this?

I also seem to be getting a lot of headaches since swapping, does anyone know if this is linked?

I have a consultant appointment at the end of the month, and will discuss all this with him but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Like you, I had loads of problems on oral MTX. I went onto Metoject after a bit of wrangling. I found that if you pinch a fair bit of padding and keep hold of it until all the yellow fluid goes, and then push on it with cottonwool after the injection is released, it doesn't bruise as badly. It was difficult at first as my left hand couldn't squeeze a big enough chunk of muscle in my leg. Worked eventually with a bit of practice. Even on the injections I still had nausea and problems with not sleeping, resulting in headaches/irritability etc. I kept a diary of my symptoms just in case there was a pattern, so I could work out what time of day was best to inject. I persevered with it for ages but now on something different as my joints haven't really got any better and I really struggled with the GI and bowel problems, which makes the fatigue alot worse. Good luck with your Metoject. Hope it works for you. Make sure you take your folic acid on the other days, as that also makes a difference - not sure why, but it does.
    • Posted

Thank you I will try and pinch as I wasn't told to do that and see if it helps. I am taking Folic acid 6 days a week and that has helped with the nausea and cramps just the headaches I am still struggling with 😕
  • Posted

I don't get pain exactly, I get a tightening around the area which can feel uncomfortable but that's really all. It's maybe the one good thing to come from tummy fat!

Hope it's less painful for you soon, is it working otherwise?

• Posted

There seems to be a small improvement but it is still early days so I am hopeful that things will improve further and hopefully when it settles down the inj will hurt less too.
  • Posted

Hi, I have been on Metoject for about 3 months and had headaches at first but these seem to have cleared up.   It may be unrelated but my liver readings are raised now and I have been told to stop taking MTX for a few weeks, it is odd as I have never had liver problems before and on the injection I am on a lower dose, I was on 22.5mg tabs and on 15mg inj, has anyone else experienced this?   
    • Posted

Fingers crossed my headaches improve too, but it is good to know that yours cleared up. I am on the same dose injection as I was orally and have my first bloods since the change this week so hopefully no problems with my liver. I hope your results improve after a short break.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.