METHOTREXATE LIFE SPAN IN THE SYSTEM ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Basically folks I was on Methotrexate for about 4 years, one 15mg injection once a week & to be totally honest with you it actually did bugger all for my psoriatic arthritis & the side effects like stomach aches, nausea, fatigue & affecting your immune system were not too severe but not pleasant either.

I stopped taking this drug about 7 months ago & just wondered how long it is before it leaves the system, your feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

andy2. I wish you well in your departure of the use of methotrexate.I know this is an old post but it was a good question. I was curious myself. A google search and Pharmacological reviews website says" The half-life of methotrexate in the serum is in the range of 6 to 8 h after administration of the drug and is undetectable in the serum by 24 h (Fossa et al., 1988; Kozloski et al., 1992; Oguey et al., 1992; Jundt et al., 1993; Lebbe et al., 1994; Bannwarth et al., 1996). Methotrexate is taken up by cells and polyglutamated and methotrexate polyglutamates, likely the active compounds, are long-lived (days to months) in the tissues (Kremer et al., 1986; Dervieux et al., 2003)." probably something usefull for anybody to know before starting the drug. 
  • Posted

Well, in order to have a baby you have to be off it for 3 months, so you should be totally clear by 7. 
  • Posted

Drugs.com Pregnancy should be avoided if either partner is receiving MTX, during and for a minimum of 3 months after therapy for male patients, and during and for at least 1 ovulatory cycle for female patients. This drug has been successfully used to terminate tubal pregnancy. Woah! a topic in itself.
  • Posted

Hopefully you've found the answers you were looking for, but if not, Wheato and Todd were correct. I was on both sides of the issue. My wife's first pregnancy was terminated due to a rupture in her uterine wall. They used MTX to terminate. A year later I was diagnosed with RA, polymyositis, and fibromyalgia. The doctor prescribed MTX. The name sounded familiar, and when I Googled it, I said, well ain't that the mother of all cruel coincidences. My wife and I decided to give it another go, and I asked my Rheumy how long do I have to be off of the drug. She advised 3 months, I gave it 6, increased my prednisone and flared almost constantly. The good news is I now have a 2 year old and a 2 month old. The bad news is now I have a 2 year old and a 2 month old. Lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.