Methotrexate - oral v Injection. Anyone have any experiance?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I wondered if there were any disadvantages to having the methotrexate injection as opposed to oraly?

The oral dose is causing unpleasant stomach side effects, so I presume the injction will bypass this (a bit atleast). But I wondered why the injection isnt given innitially?  Perhaps there are draw backs to it? 

Thanks for any advice 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi,no GI tract problems with injection.I just get transient pain at injection site (about five minutes)and some bruising (helps me remember which leg and where to stab☺).Probably try tablets at first as injection is ten times more expensive (fine for me as in U.K. )I get mine at the hospital but at our surgery if you want injections the request has to be initiated by hospital (anyway the sharps bin has to go back to the hospital for incineration so I get injections then change bin at outpatients the same day).Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Gillian,

Thanks so much for repliying. We are  in UK too (Wales). I guess they try oral first if the injections are so costly - Makes sense.   So you cant injeect at home then? or do you inject at home and return sharps bin when you go in for the routine bloods? 

• Posted

I inject at homeThe first one was done under supervision at hospital by rheumatology nurse but if they are happy then you do it at home.Blood tests at GP surgery.Have phone number of rheumatology nurse in case of queries and just phone to reorder injections.Presume similar in Wales.
  • Posted

I switched from the oral to injections 6 months ago. I'm not as sick to my stomach

• Posted

Hi,

I have known gi upsets with a lot of medication, so when I started on MTX (only 3 weeks ago) doctor started me on the injection.  So far, the side effects are minimal nausea, bloating and some loss of appetite for a day or two. But nothing really bad.  I have heard that the tablets have much worse side effects. I have not noticed any improvement yet though. 

• Posted

i have not tried injections i have been told they intra muscular and i can tell you if that is right they r painful but that what i have been told
    • Posted

They are subcutaneous so needle hardly penetrates-infact I only know it has gone in if you watch the liquid level fall.It is automated (sort of)so just press a button
    • Posted

No pain at all. A little uncomfortable till you get used to them. Wish I'd started on them first - saved months of side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.