Methotrexate, Prednisone, Folic Acid side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

So. My doctor started me on the drugs listed above for my diagnosis of Sarcoidosis disease. I started that April 21rst. Was off those April 23rd after very bad side effects. Before I stopped I took (1)Methetrexate, (12) Predisone {4 each day} and (3) Folic acids {1 each day}.  My period started on May 3rd and didnt end til May 24th, heavy bleeding all the way through. My next period was supposed to start on May 29th. It's been 24 days since then and I haven't bled yet. God willing I'm not pregnant because I'm a virgin but my boyfriend and I still do 'things' down there. I'm confused and scared. Please help

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear but half the problem is with the prednisone, it mucks your head up a bit, I'm on the same things for crohns only had my first injection 5 days ago. Except for a little headache and a little nausea not bad but who knows what the next injection will bring. 

I woud not be surprised if these drugs mixed up your cycle etc as they have changed a bit in me like no taste and vision a bit blurry.

sick with it if you can I've tried heaps of different drugs for this crohns and hopefully this one might work 

• Posted

Hi Are you saying that your doctor prescribed a dose of 30mg of MTX [Methotrexate] per week, starting with 30mg - 12 tablets?

When I was prescribed MTX, I was prescribed 10mg per week & my Dermatologist started me on 5mg per week, to ease me in if you know what I mean.

As for your periods, I seem to recall that you are advised not to become pregnant, so must take precautions, when on MTX.

You really need to speak to your prescribing doctor & perhaps take your boyfriend with you, so that you can both understand what you have to do & what side effects the drug is likely to have.

What country are you in?  I understand the UK system but not other countries.

• Posted

I would call your doctor and schedule an appointment so you can discuss the side effects. It can affect us all differently but I can imagine changes in your cycle could be a common issue for us women that are on it.

I would also advise you to take extra caution when playing with your boyfriend while on the methotrexate and make him wear protection if your genitals are coming in contact....even if no penetration. I know that my Dr adamantly reminded me that I need to use birth control methods at ALL times while I'm on it.

Hopefully you feel better soon and your cycle evens itself hun, good luck!

• Posted

I am on mex and pred too and for some reason they have messed with my cycle too! I am on the contraceptive pill so my periods were always extremely reliable and come on exactly the same day and now I've started the meds for some reason it comes about a week early when I haven't even stopped taking my last pill in the packet! So odd and annoying because it ends up lasting for a about 2 weeks! Wish it would just be over and done with in 5 days like it used too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.