Metronidazole didn't work!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone! I have had BV 4 times in 5 months. This last time my Dr prescribed metronidazole 2x a day for 10days, followed by 21 days of boric acid. At the end of the 10 days of metronidazole, I called her and told her that I didn't think it has worked at all. I was still pretty itchy and the discharge was the same. She had already tested me for any STD's and I was negative. Anyhow, the Dr insisted on me just doing the Boric Acid and then being reevaluated at the end of that treatment. My ph is starting to rise and I am experiencing more discharge than before along w itching.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I told my Dr that I felt that the Gardnerella I have may be resistant to metronidazole but she said that was rare. Is it? Also...will the boric acid I am taking work when the metronidazole didn't? Any help would be so great! This is killing me.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hey, yes me too, I can take a week of antibiotics and no improvement in symptoms... Itching Is not a big problem for me though, mostly the odor and SO much discharge... It's Awful

• Posted

Hello, i stopped using mt estrogen ring called estring. About a monrg later i got a thick pasty discharge, no smell, no itch. Finally went ro a,new local gyno, who did a culture. BV. never had this before! Did the metronidazole gel for 5 nights but didnt seem to stop the discarge. It also cause a flare in my LS. called dr. Who now prescribed same med but oral 500 mg. . I asked the pharmacist who said to take oral is much more powerful that topical. Wierd. Just not sure but i guess ill have to try this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.