metronidazole long term effects

Posted , 31 users are following.

:? I was given metronidazole for a tooth infection 200 x 9 tablets and I collapsed I discovered later that I had been given this medication 9 time for diviticulitus over 10 years this last dose has completely upset me neurologically. 2 years later and I have not recovered, my doctor was very helpful and tests were done - I now have reactive hypoglycemia, not connected with diabetes, I have changed my diet, no sugar, and eat small meals regularly, but I also have tingling along the tops of my arms and on the front of my legs in the mornings and a stiff shoulder all because of this antibiotic. Why are tests not done to find out what part of this antibiotic is causing such serious side effects. I want my life back but how. Taking a tissue salt which helps but not a cure. Help.

[color=darkred:fd475a9e11][/color:fd475a9e11]

2 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I took Metronidazole over the summer. I haven't been the same sens . My life is ruined I've lost my job and im house bound. Have you found any relief? I have low blood pressure, dizzyness, brain fog, sever anxiety,pain all over my body, i can't stay hydrated. If you see this please write back thanks.

• Edited

I you sound like me! Metronidazole has ruined my life 2 months after taking it I'm still suffering. Major panic attacks and extreme anxiety. My upper arms ache and I am struggling everyday. I'm on diazepam twice a day 2mg but I know I can't stay on that forever. It's a real hell and doctors don't believe me

• Edited

First of all I feel sorry for anyone who went through such difficulties. Metronidazole is a cheap and poisonous antibiotics and even here in Saudi Arabia,I noticed that hospitals strated to use it instead of other expensive antibiotics they used to administer. This poisoning antibiotics should be banned.For 7 days I was given many antibiotics including metronidazole which was the worse. The Dr said sgot,cpk and ldh enzymes where dangerously too high and suspected I have infection which causes those enzymes to spike and cause autoimmune disease (polymyositis) which can cause pain all over the body ,I was hopeless cause there was no cure for except taking anti inflammation drugs.But I suspected my gallbladder was the culprit who triggered autoimmune disease and I insisted on the Dr to remove it. I was right the surgeon said it was too inflamed. By the way there were stone in it. So do a CT or Sonar scan to gallbladder to look for stone and remove it. One last word I hope people in the US who their lives ruined by metronidazole step in and call for the ban of it.
    • Edited

hi I just took metronidazole jel about two weeks ago and having severe anxiety and panic attacks. webby to ER twice in 3 days. they didn't do anything for me. I need help I don't know how much of this I can take. can you tell me what helped you to get over this.

• Posted

Are you feeling any better now? For me its been close to a month and am having similar symptoms.?

• Posted

I went to the ER too many times this week and they just kept sending me home since taking flagyl I am feeling the same way confusion disorientation vision changes anxiety panic attacks on thirsty all the time dizzy problems with blood pressure now ringing in the ears at all this is happening to me too and they don't believe me and they keep sending me home and won't let me just continue the med I'm scared too I'm worried too and you're not alone and we all all on this forum we need to come together to change this it's going to take all of us we need to report to the FDA write a letter maybe come together as a group and form a letter this med is absolutely awful I also am in the process of losing my home and lost my job.

• Posted

the brain fog is horrendous and has affected my quality of life and I've been to the ER four times this week different hospitals and no one will hear me out. they are also making me finish the medication even though I reported these serious side effects. I've also been feeling the tingling extreme thirst no matter how many electrolytes and water I get.

• Edited

Hi I was on metronidazole for 9 days and suffered a severe panic attack which I ended up in a&e for I've been off the meds for 2 months and I'm still struggling with panic and anxiety been off work all this time and still am no better. I was offered sertraline which after 2 days gave me serotonin toxicity and I believe this is linked as well. I have never suffered from anxiety before

• Posted

Have your anxiety conditions improved? I took that drug for a bout of diverticulitis in Feb and have been suffering from severe anxiety as well. I never thought about it being from this drug, I assumed it went with the diverticulitis. I've never had this type of anxiety, although I've been a worrier in the past. This is different, and seems to overtake me when I least expect it and I can't shake it off. I have it almost daily. It also has brain fog and a sense of apathy that comes with it. I just want to be me again!

• Edited

Hi, that's all I keep saying! I want to be me again. My life has changed but it is improving. I've had 4 months off work, my gallbladder removed because it was bad and my thyroid is playing up. But I really do believe the metronidazole started all this off. I have more good days than bad now but the anxiety creeps up and takes me by supreme. Last week was a bad week I had an attack at the theatre, can't plan anything have to take each day as it comes. But compared to how I was back in October/November it has improved. So give it time and it's so lovely to know it isn't just me!

• Posted

Hi Karol, I see you have had problem taking Metronidazole.  I have also been taking this drug on and off for diverticulitis over the last 17 months and the last lot seem to stiffen me up and give me such a bad back.  I am having terrible problems with diverticulitis and cannot get these flare ups under control and in terrible terrible pain with fever and feeling so ill I am in bed most of the time.  Is your diverticulitis under control and have you any advice to help me.  I am at a loss.  Looking forward to hearing from you.
    • Posted

Hi Marian....I was just diagnosed in Feb, so I'm new to what flareups feel like and all, but I haven't had any pain or fever, so I must have not had a flare. I have been taking a lot of supplements like probiotics and aloe vera juice on my chiropractors advice. My regular doctor hasn't told me what to expect or anything, which is disheartening. I have been reading about the medication, though, on another forum here, and it seems to be worse than the problems from diverticulitis. I actually think it, or the Cipro I also took, are what is making me so anxiety ridden. I am praying not to have a flare up because I don't think I will ever take Flagyl or Cipro again!

I so hope you can get feeling better! The aloe seems to really be helping me and you might try it.

• Posted

Thank you for the encouraging words! I read a lot about the medication (Flagyl) side effects on a forum last night, and it does sound exactly like my complaints! Also, the Cipro side effects. I'm hoping it's not the Cipro doing this because it seems a lot harder to recover from. I'm so happy to hear your testimony of feeling much better! You give me hope!

• Posted

Thank you Karol for your very quick reply.  I am also taking probiotics but have not tried aloe vera juice so it may be a good idea.  I have read a lot about Cipro. but never taken it, they say it's evil stuff so I am hoping I'm not put on that.  It's very difficult to tolerate apparently.  I will try and Aloe Vera juice and see if it helps me.  Many thanks for getting in touch and for your help.

• Posted

How are you now? How long it took you to get better?
    • Posted

are you any better? I am having similar symptoms for close to a month now.

• Posted

I never suffered with this before till now as well. its horrendous.

• Posted

It id wonderful to know we arent alone. We need to all come together and report this med to the FDA.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.