Metronidazole- PLEASE HELP ME!

Posted , 13 users are following.

People! I was prescribed 500 mg, twice daily for 7 days for a BV infection. I have never ever had any bad reaction to any prescription drug. A few days into it, I noticed weight gain and bloat. After a few more days, my abdomen blew up. I am a skinny, fit and active woman. I do not go around looking 4 months pregnant. My hands and feet began to go numb, I couldn't do yoga or sit normally. I also couldn't stop eating, but when I ate.. Even just a bite would fill me up. It was like I could not fit anything in my stomach due to the bloating. It has been almost a month sonde I have taken the last pill. My BV infection went away however... I still have tingling feet and hands, slight bloat, sore throat, can't lose the weight I gained, abdomen pain. I do not feel normal. I stared to get off skin nodules too. These aren't pimples, they are deep in the skin. Again, not normal for me at al. My question is; is it possible that the antibiotic killed all my good bacteria and my body is now deficient in vital nutrients and vitamins? Also, it altered my metabolism? I also just got a year infection too. It's hard to swallow sometimes, overall throat issue. My symptoms have to be related to the antibiotic, they just have to. I have had more symptoms too. I read that candida is possible after an antibiotic treatment. PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS ANY INSIGHT.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lauren, I am going through the EXACT SAME THING that you are going through. I am also a fit, healthy, active girl and this has been going on for a week for me but I am not able to workout let alone yoga or anything. My abdoman is insanely bloated and hurts so bad and non stop diarrhea. It has been a month since you posted this, did you go back to your doctor and get it taken care of? Please let me know, and if so, what made this awful thing go away. sad

• Posted

Hi Mel,

So, my bloating has stopped and so has the random weight gain. I do still experience minor pins and needles in my hands and feet. So, what I have read is that this antibiotic will kill very importnant good and bad bacteria in the gut/intestines. So, what you need to do, is start probiotics right away. like ASAP. Go to a health food store, and buy goat milk kefir, eat raw kimchee, and sourkrout, buy happy belly shots (mango is good), and buy a probiotioc in pill form with at least 20 billion acitve bacteria. Over do it, go exrteme and stop the medication right away. This antibiotic caused a lot of issues for me, a a healthy person. I now have a yeast issue as well. Keep me posted.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Lauren,

I just read your blog and feel your pain.

I see that you wrote this 8 mos ago. Are you still having the symptoms?

I was over dosed by a pharmacist and was taking 2500 mg a day for diverticulitis in Dec 2016. I feel awful and can't get my metabolism right either. I have a list a mile long of symptoms.

I'm curious to if your symptoms went away or if they persist. I want my health and life back...

• Posted

Hi Robin,

I am really sorry to hear about you taking Flagyl. I took 500mg twice a day for seven days and had some symptoms and now more. Did you get better a bit ?

It's been 9 months now and I am getting worse and worse.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

No, my symptoms never got better. I started with bad vertigo, eyes not focused, and the whole list of issues and now a little over a year, I’ve been Dx with Cataracts and had my sigmoid colon removed.. I did not have cataracts before.. so, now that surgery. 

I have been seeing a physiologist , she looked at my blood under a microscope and can tell what’s going on. We also sent urine off to a lab to be analyzed. 

They determined that my kidneys are not functioning correctly and I have high levels of Oxylates in my system.. I now can not eat anything with high Oxylates.. Google what they are.. very interesting.. This Medicine needs to be banned.. I’ve never been so miserable..

• Posted

Did it ever go away... I feel the same and am desperate
    • Posted

Besa1111,

I’m so sorry you are having issues too. 

I’m still struggling with most symptoms. Now I am told I have cataracts at the age of 52. I see ophthalmologist yearly and never had them before.  This medication is awful. I see double and eyes hurt.. 

I have good days and very bad ones. I get angry very easy because I stilll don’t feel well after 11 months. I do only pea protein shakes, no eggs, no gluten, no soy or dairy to keep Diverticulitis away but I did have another attack this weekend.. so I don’t know what to do anymore.  I’m sick of Drs.. 

I found a physicist that I buy pure vitamins and herbs to build my system back up, but it’s expensive. Life sucks after Flagyl!

• Posted

hello, i just read your story. my wife suffered from the same problems as you did. weight gain is the biggest complaint. have you gotten any better? if so what kind of professional helped you. our family doctor said it is just a coincidence.

thank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.