Microscopic haematuria with RA?

Posted , 6 users are following.

My RA was sent into remission about 18 months ago with methotrexate, Hydroxichloraquine. Unfortunately I've failed to tolerate these and two other DMARDs so have been off RA meds for 18 months apart from six months on steroids recently. My joints are okay but my tendons and nerves are rubbish - pins and needles  and feeling of mouth abd Jose being compressed. I'm now on treatment for borderline hypertension. Recently The doctor has found traces of blood in my urine. If it is found a third time I'll be referred to urology and am slightly concerned.

However someone told me today that this is normal for people with RA to have traces of blood in pee - even if joint problems have gone into remission. It seemed to begin at the same time as I' tapered off Prednisilone.

I am tired, stiff and achy now but have no joint pain or swelling. Waiting to hear back from a new rheumatologist. I'd be interested to know if others have these symptoms or have gone into spontaneous remission? 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Oops that should say mouth and nose feel compressed/ tight/ sore
  • Posted

I can't speak for any of the other things, but I have been onand off RA forums for going on six years and I've not read or heard about blood in urine being a symptom, either of RA or of RA drugs, as far as I recall...

I think it's the kind of thing my antennae would have picked up.

Sorry about that....

Hope you find out what you need to know and that the news is good.

Maybe you share it after your rheumy appointment.

• Posted

Thanks Light. Ive never heard of it either but this person said she had been diagnosed with RA herself and said none of her doctors seemed concerned about the microscopic haematuria because of her RA.

I believe it's more common with Lupus and so are most of my other symptoms now - but two consultants have confirmed that I have RA rather than Lupus because my ANA has been inconclusive. I will see what the new consultant has to say when I finally hear back from him.

• Posted

Methotrexate can upset the kidneys. There is also Sjogren's Syndrome which RA patients often get that causes dry membranes - very noticable in the nose, eyes and mouth. I agree with 'Light' regarding blood in the urine. Not a typical symptom of RA as far as I know.
    • Posted

Thanks Gail but it's 18 months since I took Methotrexate. The only immunesuppressant I've tried this year is Azathioprine - with horrible consequences. I am very drug intollerent/ allergic. I am quite newly on BP meds but haematuria isn't listed as a side effect. I think I do have Sjogrens because I suffer from dry eyes and have much parasthesia which often goes with Sjogrens - but my antibodies were negative and I don't have oral problems associated with the primary disease. I think the haematuria is a more common symptom of Sjogrens and Lupus than RA. I'm hoping for a rediagnosis as my synovial swelling is long gone but I still have systemic inflammation, fatigue and different but equally distressing pain to RA. 
  • Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed with RA 14 months ago and minute traces of blood were found in my urine too, repeat tests kept showing it, my Rheumy sent me for a kidney scan, everything is normal, so the conclusion was it was nothing to worry about. I am on methotrexate 15 mg. 
    • Posted

Thanks - that's really helpful as it makes me feel reassured. I'm not on anything apart from Levothyroxine and Losartsn for my BP. My RA seems to have gone into remission now but other related symptoms haven't. I do have a large irregular cyst on my left kidney which GP wondered might be bleeding a bit. I came off steroids 3 weeks ago after six months on them.
    • Posted

This may be a bit naive on my part, after all my years with this disease, but I never bothered to make the connection between the two-monthly urine tests I have and the effect of MTX on my kidneys.

But surely this blood in the urine must be the link...though I've never seen anyone discuss it before.

Its kind of obvious really. Thank you!

• Posted

I'm not an RA case but I suffer from blood in urine for months my Dr. said it's probably just a distented or irritated bladder 

whhen i first had obvious blood in my urine was when i had an infection 

so I would recommend a simple urinalysis and urine culture to exclude the liklihood of infection and also kidney function cos this much meds puts pressure on the kidneys 

• Posted

Thanks Marieelle199. I have had my urine sent off for analysis when blood first detected and it came back clear. I've also been having my kidney function tested as on new BP meds. It dipped a lot at first but is back to normal. So this is why I asked here about microscopic haematuria because my diagnoses is of RA and hypothyroidism - even though both seen fine presently. And I'm not on any heavy duty meds anymore - just my BP med and Levothyroxine.
    • Posted

so you should have no worries blood in urine especially if you got tested 
    • Posted

No the worries are more about nothing showing up with blood in urine as the lab can only rule out common urinary infections and kidney stones - not cancers or connective tissue diseases.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.