Microspic blood in urine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, Here I am.... aged 60+ with inviisble blood in my urine on 3 tests (3+,1+ and 2+ on test strips). Blood count normal,  no other symptoms at all.My Doctor has referred me for a cystocopy et al on the urgent 2W pathway. However, this disagrees with the NICE guidelines which state that Microscopic blood, on an over 60, should be accompanied by either increased white blood cell count or Disuria. I have neither. Is the Doctor doing me favour by fast tracking me or has he just got it wrong? Any thoughts from someone who knows please? Thanks.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Would you happen to be a runner?  I once had microscopic blood in my urine, and my doctor attributed it to my running.  That was at least 40 years ago.
  • Posted

Would you happen to be a runner?  I once had microscopic blood in my urine, and my doctor attributed it to my running.  That was at least 40 years ago.
    • Posted

Hi Glenn - Thanks for your reply. Well I haven't done a 5K at the gym for at least - well - since yesterday. To be honest I have heard this before, so I have stopped excercising the day before a urine submission and it didn't make any difference. But I just get a feeling it maybe connected.

• Posted

Google shows that it's a common phenomenon.  It's called Exercise Induced Hematuria.

I cut and pasted this from a site called UPTODate.

"ETIOLOGY AND PATHOGENESIS

Hematuria has been described after a variety of forms of exercise [1,4,5]. These include contact sports, such as football and boxing, and noncontact sports, such as long-distance (marathon or endurance) running [6-8], rowing, and swimming. Hematuria appears to be rare with cycling but has been described, even with stationary bike riding (eg, spinning) [9,10].

The frequency with which hematuria occurs with long-distance running was evaluated in a study of 45 male and female participants who competed in an ultra long-distance marathon [6]. After the race, 11 (24 percent) had hematuria. The hematuria disappeared within seven days. A similar incidence (18 percent) was noted in a report of 50 marathon runners who did not have hematuria on prerace samples obtained daily for three days [11]."

• Posted

Yes, that is interesting. For sure, I'm no marathon runner, after about 10K things start to fall off! However it's rare that 24 hours passes without my working out, doing a treadmill run or some form of other energetic excercise. (Long walk intensive gardening et al.) It's difficult - and maybe it's best to investigate and be safe than sorry. However, the danger of irrelevant over investigation still remains with it's inherent misery. One day they will find out, until then it's a matter of trying to do the right thing. Cystoscopy here we come, I guess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.